Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was a nice day so I backed the car out of the garage for the first time since fall and noticed a problem--the transmission is slipping. Pulled the dipstick to check the fluid level and noticed it was low. I have drip pan under the car and there was a bit of fluid in the pan. The bigger problem I fear is that the dipstick was rusty nearly its entire length and there appears to be rust sediment in the fluid. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
IIRC, the fluid level should be checked running. It may be lower than you think. It is not unusual to see some leakage out of the shaft seals after sitting for several months. The fluid in the torque converter drains back into the transmission raising the level above normal and flooding a couple seals.

When you start it, it pumps fluid back into the torque converter. Check the owners manual on check procedure, but I think it is running in neutral after cycling through drive and reverse. I have had slippage when only an actual quart low. Good Luck

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
condensation on the dipstick part that is not submerged in fluid is normal in a climate where humidity is changing ect. clean the dipstick off-add fluid to proper level when checking with engine running in park. wes

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,658 Posts
A rusty dipstick isn't unusual in SC, I've seen it on many much later model vehicles. Sometimes a LOT of rust. Usually on those without a rubber plug/seal at the handle end of the stick. Looks awful but doesn't really anything.
Sounds like you are just low on fluid. And of course have a leak.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I knew I had a minor leak, but it was the rusty dipstick and sediment that concerned me. I feel better now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts