Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally gave up and took the tranny out and to the local tranny shop. First thing the guy did was drop everything else he was doing to come look at my mess. The first thing he said was that the input shaft was sticking out too far (my first one, so I didn't know). He tried to pull it out, but it was stuck, and stuck good. Fifteen minutes, a slide hammer and the god-awfulest arrangement of vice grips later, he had the input shaft extracted.

Evidently, the previous rebuilder had pounded the input shaft in backwards. The splines are different, and it must have taken some force on his part to get it in far enough to work. The tranny guy looked at the wear pattern on the flats of the converter stub and noticed that the engagement had only been about a 1/4" depth. He figured my pulling the engine with the converter attached probably backed the input shaft out just about that 1/4", keeping me from engaging it when I tried to put it back together.

Anyway, he had it fixed and the converter slipped back on in about 20 minutes. And he would not accept payment of any sort. I finally dropped a ten dollar bill on his helper and told him to buy them both some beer. That's all he would take, I tried a twenty but he wouldn't take it.

In case you are in the area and need good people it is Northtown Transmission, North Kansas City, MO.

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
Thanks for the tip and glad it worked out...I've tried to put an early input shaft in backwards a couple of times but stopped when it wouldn't slide in easily...

Be sure to recommend the rebuilder to the local Mustang Club...and stop by some time and see if he sells shift kits...(the generic ones are usually inexpensive)

Onward and upward! *G*

·
Registered
6,603 Posts
That the kind of guy you want to send a lot of business his way. Really makes my day to see someone treated right and not screwed over which is how most seem to get it. Bet you had a great day.

G

·
This kind of work by a transmission shop is not the norm in this day and age. In my area, that would have cost at least $75 for the work they did. I think it cost just $50 in AK just to talk about what you want to do...

·
Registered
350 Posts
There's a shop like that in Oregon. They help ya for free. I had my wifes vehicle service there and it leaked a year later. They replaced the pan gasket and added fluid for free. They also gave free advice when I rebuilt my first tranny. NIce to hear that other shops beleive in customer service.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I expect a lot of us have run into shops like those and, once you've found them, try to throw them some business, even if you're a do-it-yourselfer, like I am (to the extreme sometimes). For any of you in the Birmingham, AL metro area (Pelham, Shelby County), Haley Transmission and Faulkner Automotive are straight shooters all the way. Both know Mustangs. I've had both refuse to accept payment on occasion when most places would have invented costs. When I've needed them though, they've really done good work at a fair price. These are the guy you want to stay in business.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts