Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a leak at the neutral switch. I know there might be a seal at the sight. Is this easily changed and is there one in NPD or mustangs. Discussed with local garage none at local tranny shop.. don't think they wanted to do it. But maybe trying to sell me a bill of goods. Suggestions...
SB Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Sounds like the shift shaft seal, a common problem. You should be able to buy the seal from the local parts house but changing it is a little time consuming. The best way is to drop the pan, remove the nut on the end of the shaft on the outside and remove both the shift and tv linkage rod. You may have to remove the big nut inside the trans to remove the shaft. Once the shaft is removed the seal can be pried out with a screwdriver. The new seal taps right in and you can re-install everything in reverse order and you are done. Change the filter while you are there also...

G

·
Ray, I can use some of that info myself. But what filter are you talking about? My C-4 doesn't have one, and even the books I have only list the screen. Am I missing something? Also, if you can help me, do a search under my screen name. I listed some numbers off of my pump (I can't find an I.D. plate) because I need to know what year my trans is so I can order a shift kit. Any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
From your previous post it looks like you have a 72. What year is your motor? Did you put it in or was it there when you purchased the car? If your motor is a 72 most likely someone bought a complete assembly and put it in your car. As far as the filter is concerned I was talking about the screen. I forgot that those had a screen instead of a fiber type filter. If you put your shift lever in D2 or second and it takes off in second you would have a 68 or later transmission. The early trannies had a green dot position on the shifter that you would normally take off in. That dot is in the D2 position and you would take off in low like a normal car. Hope this helps...

G

·
Thanks again. The engine was in the car when I bought it and I remember him saying it was a '72 engine, I was just trying to verify that the trans went with it since there is a cut off at '70 for the new C-4. Also, another question if you don't mind. Would it cause problems if I put in a shift kit without rebuilding the trans at the same time?

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
If the transmission is strong now then putting a shift kit in it shouldn't hurt it at all. If it is slipping now then dont think a shift kit will fix it because it probably wont.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts