Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Ford manual, a Haynes transmission manual and some other reference material ( and yes, I did a search here).
I still can't figure out how to remove the neutral start switch after I remove it's bolts. The obstacle seems to be the lever in front of the switch. The threaded shaft has two flat sides for a wrench but I don't want to go there without more info. What am I missing?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
What am I missing?
Nothing! Pull...

Good luck,

Rory

[EDIT] Just to be clear, once you have removed the nut, the lever pulls off. The flat sides you mention are to keep the lever from rotating around the shaft. When you remove the two bolts holding the switch on, you may find the switch itself a bit hard to pull off too.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Just apply some penetrating oil and rock the lever arm back and forth and it should come off.

Scott

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
One thing not mentioned already, and I hope it's not too late:

Whenever you R&R the nut holding the kickdown arm, you MUST hold the shaft still. Either a crescent wrench, vice grips, or whatever. Failure to do so will snap the arm off on the inside of the transmission and render the kick down useless. It doesn't take much force to snap it ... ask me how I know :eek:

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Ok I'll bite how do you Know?
Al

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
The kick down lever is kind of pressed on the shaft when the nut is tightened. I grabbed a hold of the tang where the c clip fits and wiggled/rocked the lever out towards the end of the shaft. A small screwdriver slipped between the safety switch and the lever will work also, just be mindful when gently prying. Then remove the 2 bolts. The switch is also keyed to the shaft, but it's not a press type fit. It'll slip right off the shaft.
Johnpro right. You could easily bust off the "leg" inside the trans, unless you have the valve body already removed. If the valvebody is out, then just hold the leg on the other end of the shaft when you replace/tighten the outer nut on the shaft.

Are you starting a rebuild on that trans?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just O rings and front and rear seal. Thanks guys for all of your replies. I got it off OK.

PS...JohnPro....how will I know?

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
You can slide the kick down arm back on. When you pull it back you should feel resistance, and then it should spring back when you let it go. If there's no resistance and the kickdown arm spins 360 degrees, it's snapped off, and you have to drop the pan to get to it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts