Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a little help. I have a 66 that was originally a 6 cylinder. It now has a 302/C-4 combo. The problem is that I don't know if it has an original C-4, or if the engine/tans combo was slipped in complete. I can't find the I.D. tag on the trans. Is there some tell-tale way to find out which one it is? I need to know because I want to order a shift kit form Summitt and they list two different ones for two different spans of years of production. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
There should still be a casting # on the side of the tranny body. You can also go ahead and pull the pan off. There will be a casting # visible on the valve body that should give you an idea of the kit to order. You'll have to pull it anyway to put the kit in.

Are you looking at a Trans-Go Kit? That's what I have. Very happy with the performance of the Stage 2 in my C4.

Good luck. Not a tough project.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Does the C4 currently in the car start out in second gear in the first detent beyond neutral? If so, then it's a green dot trans and native to early (64-66) Mustangs and will take the shift kit specific to that permutation.

You can see various components for the C4 here

There is a possibility, if the trans is early, that it is specific to the inliner application and may have a slightly lower performance configuration internally, mainly in the area of the clutch frictions. Shouldn't be a problem with a stock 302 but is worth noting..

Good luck and get back to us with any further information and/or questions...

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Parts can be changed out, but pre-1969 C-4's used a cable kickdown device, 69 and up used a rod from the carb to the selector.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
The kickdown cable was used from '66-68. The '65's used a kickdown rod very similar to the '69/later models. The kickdown mechanism was, however, a function of the car, not the tranny. You can use any style of kickdown cable/rod you want to hook to any year transmission you want, provided you find a way to mount it to the car (they'll all hook up to the same lever on the tranny).

For example, I have a '70 C4 in my son's '65. I don't like the kickdown rods, so put a '66 accelerator linkage in it and used the '66 kickdown cab le.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. I already have the pan off. Hopefully I will have time to pull the pump assembly on Monday. I will post the numbers here and I am sure that some of the gurus will be able to help me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts