Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this automatic from a guy for 20.00 that says it only has 1000 miles since rebuilt but sit outside for a year or so. I am going to have it rebuilt with a shift kit in it any way. Dont want to install and pull the tran out like I did with the last one. I took it back and the guy refunded my money. He said it came out of 72 302 T-bird.I was looking at the tag and it says PEMC5 L7B E1D PKA Does anyone know what this means?Is it a C-5?Thanks,Tony

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
If Im not mistaken, the C5 has a bump in the bottom of its pan.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
If you can pull the pan, take a look at the valve body. On a C5 there's a timing valve body in place of the oil filter.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
C5's didn't come into being until around 1982 and were installed primarily in trucks. If that's a 72, I seriously doubt its a C5, unless someone put it in after the fact. The C5 is an excellent candidate for building something that will handle mega-horsepower. I have a C5 still strapped to the shipping pallet that is capable of handling 1000+ hp with a nitrous blast.....

randy

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
my Haynes ford tranny book says:
c4 and c5 share same pan
the tag you have is used by the parts man for deciphering assembly line mods which can affect parts interchangeablity,
so take it with you to see your tranny guy or parts guy.
p.s. c3 and c6 pan have a differnet shape to them kinda like an L shape to them, c4/5 are rectangle shape with 3 bolt holes on 3 sides and 2 bolt holes on one edge.
c4 was made from 1964 through 1982.
c5 1981 thru 1986 and superseded c4 in 1982.
c5 stopped production in 1986 replaced by AOD.
since you dont have the door tag that has the tranny code on it, the tranny tag is very important to the tranny rebuilder or parts man.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
If you want, I could try and scan the pic that's in the manual that shows the diff.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I would have to disagree with you on that point. I've got the Haynes manual for the Ford autos, and it is an excellant guide. Using it, I rebuilt my first automatic. And the tranny has held up extremely well, even punishing it when we were at the VMF day at the drags.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Lol i didnt know there was a c-5...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts