Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple of questions regarding my 66 coupe 289 c-4. I saw some posts yesterday regarding the shifting patterns on the 65-66 c-4s. Mine has the white & green dots on the shifter, but shifts like D,L2,L1. Does this mean my transmission is a later model c-4?

Secondly, I get a little bit of engine rev on the shift from 2-3. It seems I've read that this is an intermediate band adjustment, is that correct? Would that band adjustment be the same on a later model tranny(if that is what I have) as it would be on the 66?

And last but most annoying, is that my shifting seems to come pretty early in all gears. Is this something I can make an adjustment on? Should I just forget looking at the thing all together and take it to someone who knows what they are doing? :) Any help is appreciated.

I also wanted to say thanks to HighVoltage and Midlife for their suggestions on my idling/hesitation problem. I followed there advice and replaced the plugs,wires,cap/rotor, and coil and it is running smooth.

Chris

Chris
<a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a>

G

·
0 Posts
your transmission is not original or someone has replaced the valve body with the 67 and later type.

the shift pattern for a 65/66 automatic is L1-L1-L2 meaning... all the way down is first which you have to shift out of to go to 2nd. the middle dot starts you in first and shifts through the gears like normal driving. the last dot..(one down from N) starts the car in second gear which is useful for slippery road conditions.

if you have a rev between ships, the clutches are slipping. could be a band adjustment, but you might need a rebuild. check the fluid to make sure it's not burnt or brown looking.

Charles Turner
MCA Gold Card Judge(64.5-65, 66)
'65 Fastback
'00 GT Conv, triple black

Check out my 65 [color:blue]fastback!</font color=blue>

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Yeah, I have a green dot tranny in the race car too....with a manual valve body kit..*G*

You might have a 67-up tranny or valve body in there...

Check your fluid as Charles suggested and, if good, determine the trans year from the casting numbers or ID tag and find a shift kit for it...TransGo is the brand I've used the most...

How's the 1-2 shift at WOT? How does it compare to the 2-3?

Early shifts....If you have an adjustable vacuum modulator on the trans, you can adjust the shift points by turning the screw (exposed when you remove the vacuum hose) clockwise 1/2 turn at a time, then test drive...

A shift kit will come with an adjustable vacuum modulator...

Band adjustments are the same on all C4's, at least into the late 70's....follow the instructions in the service manual exactly...the intermediate band is the front one...

Get back to us with more details before poking and prodding your slushbox...*G*

Pat
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/strtmstng002_sml.JPG

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I guess I won't have to feel like I'm ruining the originality of the car when I switch it over to a manual tranny, now will I?

The fluid looks good and clean. The 1-2 shift is smooth and quick (without any engine rev), but like I said before, just happens way too early. I will check the ID tag on the trans as soon as I can. How can I tell the year from the casting numbers? I will also look and see if I have the adjustable vacuum modulator. I'll get back to you when I have this info before I break anything too bad! :)
Thanks, guys, for the info, I appreciate it.

Chris

Chris
<a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts