Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Working on the 69, 302 with a C4 that leaks. Changed the shifter rod seal and pan gasket and it still leaked. Waited a couple days and then leaked like crazy. Looks like now, one of the leaks may be from the gasket that joins the tranny "main body" to the rear-most portion that contains the rear seal of the tranny, the portion that the drive shaft yoke slips into. For lack of the proper nomenclature I will call it the tail shaft housing. If we drop the rear tranny mount, drop the drive shaft, could this rear houshing be slid off the tranny to replace this gasket?? Hope I am being clear enough on where the possible leak is, it is definately not from the rear seal that the drive shaft yoke rides in. Just read some recent posts about checking the vent tube and the fill tube for leaks also. Need to get it up on jack stands and crawl underneath with a light today to identify where it's leaking from exactly. Any other suggestions would be appreciated too. For example, if the vent tube is leaking, what is the fix for that portion, an o-ring or something?? Thanks in advance from the transmission rookie!!

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
C-4 rear housing removal, possible in car?

IME, yes....have done it a few times on the race car and things are a bit tighter in there, due to the engine setback..
The last time I replaced the rear bushing and seal, I recall just using a thin layer of RTV silicone for a rear housing gasket, as I didn't have one and time was of the essence *G*...seemed to have worked fine.

Speedo gear, modulator, housing gasket and rear seal are all possible places for leaks at the back of the trans... the vent is further forward (on some trans) and of course there's the servos, shift levers and other stuff farther forward. And we all know how windage can make leaks travel to the rear, yes? *G*

The vent tube is just pushed into a hole and secured with a clamp (the side ones) or screwed or pressed into the top of the housing. Short of running a puke hose off the vent tube to a tank (like I did on the race car) or to the PCV system (you didn't hear it from me *G*), there's really no sure-fire way of sealing it. Fluid coming out of the vent is usually indicative of other issues and not a problem in itself.

Let us know how it works out!

·
Banned
1,565 Posts
I'm certainly no expert on trannies, in fact they and rear ends are the two mechanical devices I leave up to the pros. However, I did pull my old C4 apart, and never did get it all the way back together. If memory serves me correctly, all of the transmission components assemble from the front or through the valve body cavern. If you disassembled the transmission at the tailshaft (assuming it's possible), you might not be able to get it back together.

Hopefully the leak is just from the dipstick tube or the cooler lines. Then you don't have to worry about it !!!

As for the vent, I seem to remember it being part of the casting. If you are spewing fluid out of the vent, then the tranny is toast (it's overheating, likely from worn clutch packs) and will need to be rebuilt. However, this doesn't sound like your problem since it would only leak out the vent if the car were running. In your case, it sounds like it's leaking while the car is parked.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
IMO, it would be just as easy to drop out the whole tranny...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts