Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The C-4 on my 67 has been a constant source of leaks since I bought the car 5 years ago. I am not sure if the dip stick and tube are correct because it acts like the pan is too full. When the car is parked, or up on blocks for any amount of time, the fluid almost pours out onto the ground. When I let the fluid get below the dipstick, the shifting becomes labored. There is so much fluid on the tranny and under it that I can't locate the source of the leak(s). I took it to a tranny shop last year and asked them to locate the leaks. They tried a few basic steps (pan tightening and gasket replacement) but it did not help. Am I wasting my time with this thing? Should I pull it and have a pro do a total re-build? What does something like this typically cost?

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1579523&a=12014261&p=43408164&f=0.jpghttp://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1579523&a=12014261&p=43361681&f=0.jpg
67GT350 Clone/70 SCJ-R Sportsroof/95GT Modified

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Trannies are pretty simple creatures....

There's only a few real problem leak areas...

Dipstick tube
Pan gasket
Converter seal
Shift actuator shaft seals
Tailshaft seal
Vent tube (if overfilled)
Cooler lines

Band servos and adjusters rarely leak...neither does the front pump or speedo cable....

Got a pressure washer? You know the drill...*G*

Then, without driving the car, put it up on jackstands and run it until the leaks appear....then crawl underneath and look for them.....the places noted above are the best places to start..
Putting a clean piece of cardboard on the cement will protect it as well as give you a map of the leaks...

Good luck!

BTW, if you take the trans to a shop which has a trans dyno, they'll find all your leaks like right away...*G*

Pat
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/strtmstng002_sml.JPG

G

·
0 Posts
Pat's got it all covered but I'll add to check the filler tube bolted to the block. Have seen that more than
once where engine or tranny was pulled and the tube not fastened back, will leak like a sieve.

66 Coupe, 289/2v, C4, CA Red

G

·
0 Posts
The thing that really should be done first is to figure out where it is comming from. Degrease, degrease and degrease. Front and rear seals can be the source of a major leak. Also like the other two guys stated, the dip stick tube boss can also really be a problem area. What I like to do for this is to have a new "O" ring for the tube and use some hightemp black RTV and stick it in (let it dry for 24 hrs).
Anything is better than having tranny fluid blow all over the place. That is such a major source of grime and burnt fluid really does not come off a nice looking exhaust. Call me a pre-madona but I like my pipes nice and clean. You can get a seal kit for around 35 bucks if you want to do it your self. Or you can get a new transmission and be done with it. Having done the seal kit and rebuild a few times it is no big deal to do but sometimes it is best to not waste time on such things. E-mail me if you are going to do this and I can give you a couple of pointers.

G

·
0 Posts
i must say i blew the bands in my C4 when i installed an internal shift kit. I spent $1000 at Cottman transmission (i dont know if youve heard of them) to rebuild it. I got a refurbished torque converter with that also. It works well now, but i certainly think a new transmission is worth it because its NEW not REBUILT. I hope that gives you some insight. Also, the leaks can only be from what is listed above.

@jay
even god doesn't know everything about mustangs

G

·
0 Posts
I had the exact same problem you do. The tranny would leak when I parked it for while but I could not for the life of me find where it was coming from. I tried tightening the pan bolts... no luck. I pulled the pan and straightened the lip on it (while pan was down replaced tranny filter)... no luck. Finally I gave in and took it to a mechanic friend. It was the rear main seal. I just let him take care of it because I didnt wanna mess with that. This MIGHT be the source of ur prob bc sounds exactly like mine. Good luck.

~Chris
San Antonio, Tx
66 coupe 289
70 fastback done by may/graduation...hopefully

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
The "leak like heck after sitting" syndrom is generally external seals. When the tranny sits for a long time and is not run, the fluid from the torque converter slowly drains into the main part of the tranny and overfills it. If the shaft seal around the selector is bad, then is runs all over the place and possible out the tail shaft seal.

If it is running OK and shifting properly, I would try replacing the seal on the selector shaft and the tail shaft etc. Also, run it every couple weeks to pump fluid back into the torque converter which holds a lot of fluid. Also check the modulator valve. That might also be a problem. Good Luck.

65 Conv., 65 & 66 Coupes and the remains of
a 66' Coupe with 6 cyl. engine and V-8 3 spd.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
You are checking the fluid when the car is running right? If not that would explain it looking overfilled on the dipstick.........

[color:green]Adam</font color=green>

Click Here to see my Website
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1590185&a=12106882&p=45943937&Sequence=0&res=high.jpg

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Cottman transmission

You must be from Philly. I lived there untill I was 17, I'm in south florida now. It's too damm cold up there!!!!!

[color:green]Adam</font color=green>

Click Here to see my Website
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1590185&a=12106882&p=45943937&Sequence=0&res=high.jpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts