Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 66 289 with a C4. This 65 mustang was originally a three speed car so the clutch mechanism is still in tact. I would like information on the type of 4-speed that would be best for this car and what I should be looking for when purchasing one. Any ideas on cost would also be helpfull. I also would welcome any information, suggestions or procedures for the swap or any other helpfull info. Thankyou.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
First, consider a 4-speed Top Loader transmission. However, buying one could be an expensive proposition. I would look for a late model 5-speed transmission such as a Tremec T-5 or Tremec 3550. VMF member 2bav8 has detailed information on his website about installing late model manual transmissions and costs. HIs URL should be on the User List. Also, Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords published an article on the T-5 (identification, rebuilding, model variations, etc). Good luck.

"What we have here is--failure to communicate."

'67 coupe soon to be 5.0L w/Edelbrock 1406

·
Registered
514 Posts
I did the C-4 to 4-speed swap in my 65. I used a toploader 4-speed that orignially came from a 66 Mustang. I bought the tranny used for $350 and I collected all the other parts along the way. I would recommend the toploader over the T-10 because; a) it's stronger and b) you don't have to change the yoke on the driveshaft.

On my swap the original C-4 driveshaft slid in with no problems and was the correct length. I found the right pedals, but used my old pedal support as many of those from manual trans cars are worn. As long as your 3-speed parts car is a v-8 you'll have no problems swaping over the parts. You need a 4 speed shifter though, I found an orginal ford one for my toploader. All in all it was a pretty easy swap, a lot more fun to drive than my old C-4 too!

65 Fastback 289 4spd in storage :-(
91 CRX Si... A.K.A. my go-kart with AC!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey there, I'm in the process of doing this to mine. I looked at all of the options first. I was originally going to go with a late model T-5, but the availability of a good used T-5 was difficult. You will also need a four speed bell housing flywheel and clutch fork and adapter plate plus a special cross member. you also might need to have drive line work done. The T-5 will provide an over drive which is nice and you won't have to spend $270 for a hurst shifter as you will for a top loader.
Now I went with the 4 speed top loader with a wide ratio. I found it a lot easier to find a good used top loader usually $400 or less if you keep your eyes open for while. you'll still need the same bell housing and flywheel and clutch fork. You will have a choice of 10, 10 1/2, or 11 inch fly wheel. The 11 inch has a different bell housing, the clutch sets are usually a little cheaper and more performance clutches are available. You can use the same cross member with top loader and the drive line will fit right in, NO CUTTING... big plus. Once you have every thing it will go fairly smoothly. Since your car at one time was a stick you might have a lot of the equalizer bar stuff still there. There is a piece that screws into the block and one that mounts to the frame under the steering column that holds the equalizer bar. all you will have left other than that is a few rods to connect to the the pedal and springs and your there. you'll need all of the same pedal assembly stuff if you decide to go with a T-5.
if you need any more info email me.
Thanks Dave

[email protected]
Everett, WA

1 - 5 of 5 Posts