Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen Has ANYONE had a problem with an intermittent anti-backflow valve from the converter side. ATTN. camachinist!! I rebuilt this trans. VERY carefully using Red-Dog plates and J code springs. Everything operates quite well and seems bulletproof. HOWEVER, every once in a while (when the engine is not fired for a week or two) the fluid level will rise in the case and ostensibly leaks out of the junction of the dip stick tube and the case. (this is an original 68 Torino 24 spline C-4 case). The lubricant is quite new and clean.--Type F. Any comments and suggestions are welcome. Best regards John

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I had the same problem recently. I don't know if it's checkvalve problems as much as it could be normal bleedoff from the cluch packs, tranny crevices, etc.
Anyway, a new o-ring on the tube still didn't stop it, so I pulled the tube, put a coat of RTV right above the o-ring and let it set up before re-installing it. No more annoying puddles on garage floor! LOL

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
Yes, I have and continue to do so with the converter/trans in the race car...if it sits any longer than a week or two, the case fills up and the fluid overwhelms something....

Going to fix it before using the car anymore...doesn't hinder track performance but is a nuiscance.

A trans manual will have the breakdown of the pump ports...I'd have to compare my manual to a core pump and process a photograph showing the port and check....when things get slow again I'll figure it out....gotta make money while the gettin's good..*G*

When I get to that point, if no one has posted a procedure, I'll prepare one and post it...I've heard this complaint on the VMF before...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts