Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got to replace the seals on old leaky, and I need to convince SWMBO that I should rebuild it at the same time. she would probably believe some more experienced Mustangers if I got some advice. How about some help?

92 olds supercharged touring sedan (big mama's)
ranger 4x4-66 mustang coupe
78 honda cb 750 ( restoring ) it's done!

·
Registered
20,876 Posts
Most definately! A rebuid kit is relatively cheap, like way under a $100.00. If the seals have been leaking, I'd assume that the clutches have been slipping and wearing prematurely do to loss of hydraulic line pressure. The transmission has to come out and apart and fluid changed anyway, so why not cover all bets for some cheap preventive medicine?

Tom
You can do anything you want to......ONCE!
aka "my 66 coupe"

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1575517&a=11977890&p=45436241.jpg
My Thundebird!

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
You might take a peek at the band material when you do the seal replacement...that's a good indicator of tranny wear....note the condition of the drums....if they're still smooth and not gouged and the bands still have material on them and there isn't a pile of friction material residue in the pan, I'd just seal her up, throw in a shift kit and go to town...*G*

I did this on my D-coder C4 about 25K ago and it works like brand new....fluid smells good, it shifts firmly and is nearing the 200K mark....

The caveat is that it looked good inside and the fluid smelled fine when I made the mods...it was just a little soft on the shifts for my taste (being a racer *G*)

I think I've turned into a "don't fix it if it ain't broke" kind of guy in my old age...hehehe

Pat
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/strtmstng002_sml.JPG

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanx for the help on the trannie so far, it occurred to me that maybe big mama's car might be rare, maybe if I clean it up so she can participate in some sort of enthusiast activity she would understand the need we mustangers have to tinker. Any comments?

92 olds supercharged touring sedan (big mama's)
ranger 4x4-66 mustang coupe
78 honda cb 750 ( restoring ) it's done!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts