Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My front seal is starting to leak tranny fluid on my 72 Q Code. I've removed and installed several C-6s before so that part is gravy but I have never removed a convertor, let alone replaced the front seal.

How hard a project is this? Any special tools required or things to look out for?

TIA
Steve

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
No. The only problem is R&Ring the tranny itself. The torque conveter just sets in there ... no bolts or anything. If you've ever replaced the front seal in a timing chain cover, it's exactly the same. I use a flat blade screw driver and a hammer to just crush the seal inwards. Use care not to nick the seal area. Once you crush the seal inwards, it will lift out easily, then just gently tap the new seal back into place.

·
Registered
9,825 Posts
To expound on what johnpro said....

Check the seal surface on the torque converter neck. If there is no detectable groove from the seal, then just use some 600 grit or better wet/dry sandpaper (or emery cloth) to refinish the neck with some WD-40 or equivalent. This give the surface some grooves to hold fluid to prevent the next seal from going bad. Make sure to lube the new seal with grease to prevent it from burning on the newly refinished converter neck.

If you do have a groove, you might want to talk to a converter company about putting a new neck on it.

While you have the trans out, I would replace all seals, gaskets and o-rings. There is never an easier time to do it than now. A fresh filter wouldn't hurt either.

The best prices I've found on tranny parts is www.bulkpart.com. They sell only top rebuilder quality parts. You can get all of your gaskets and seals for about the price of the front pump seal from your local place. The seals I bought from them were National brand, which is about the best there is.

Good luck... ::

·
Registered
191 Posts
You might want to consider changing the pump to case seal/gasket also. I've had two C6's over the last 25 years or so that developed a leak from the front of the tranny that turned out to be the pump to case seal rather than the converter seal.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I also had a leak that was VERY hard to find!I pulled the C6 from my Mach about four times,new pump seals,pump gasket,etc...An older Ford trans mechanic finally pointed out the small core plug at the bottom of the trans case,just below the front pump.(this would be inside the bell housing,on the passenger side).This plug(freeze plug)had started to leak.The cure was to fill it with RTV sealer.I have had no more problems.Hope that helps! FastE

1 - 5 of 5 Posts