Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 70 H code mach with an FMX Trany...I'm wondering if it will hold up when beef up the motor. Or should I find a C-6 to work with.

·
Registered
818 Posts
When I had my 351C built I was told that my FMX would need to be built also. I can let know know what I had done to it tonight when I look at the invoice.

Mike

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
What type of hp are we talking here? Unless you are planning on 500hp or more the FMX is just fine. If you are planning on more than 500hp a C-6 will need some work done to it as well. Both transmissions can handle quite a bit of punishment. The FMX is cast iron so it is heavier than a C-6, but I believe that the FMX robs less hp than a C-6...someone correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
My 71 mach1 is a 351 v4 c6.I also have a 72 fb 351c 2v with a fmx.Just driving around I cant tell a lot of difference.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
I believe the FMX is pretty durable it just doesn't have as much aftermarket stuff available for it(convertors,shift kits etc)...Both the FMX and C-6s are horsepower hogs compared to a C-4.

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
I've known a few racers to run a C4 behind a 351. I have :) I know a stock one is good for at least 450HP, if built right. Likely more if some changes are made. I agree about the parasitic losses. Blueprinting and a few parts changes can make a big difference in those numbers as well.

Pat

1 - 7 of 7 Posts