Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning everyone

O K let's talk about this code jazz, would someone please break the code, and fill me in on what all this has to do with my 2/69's and why my code might not be as cool as your code? why are some codes more valuable then other codes?
Thanks in advance for your time

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
The engine code (fifth digit in the VIN) tells you what engine the car came with. Higher performance engines add to the value because they are scarcer because not as many people bought them. Most buyers today want performance so they gravitate to these cars. As a result 6 cylinder cars are much less valuable than any V8 car and the A (289 4V) and K (HiPo 289 4V) are worth more than a C (289 2V).

When you get in the 67-71 there were big block and Boss motors available which are even more valuable. The most valuable Mustang by far is the Boss 429.

·
Registered
1969 Mustang GT Convertible
572 Posts
These codes usually refer to the 5th digit of the VIN which indicates what engine you have. Some engine codes change over the years so the code may indicate one type of engine one year and another type in a different year model or may not apply at all any longer.

For example:

C Code - 289 2V engine
K code - 289 4V Hipo engine (much rarer than a C code as they didn't make as many)

In 1969, you would have the following engine codes:

T - 200 cid 1V 6cyl 115 hp
L - 250 cid 1V 6cyl 155 hp
F - 302 cid 2v V-8 220 hp
G - 302 cid 4v V-8 290 hp (Boss)
H - 351 cid 4v V-8 250 hp
M - 351 cid 4v V-8 290 hp
S - 390 cid 4v V-8 320 hp
Q - 428 cid 4v V-8 335 hp (CJ)
R - 428 cid 4v V-8 335 hp (CJ-R)
Z - 429 cid 4v V-8 376 hp (Boss)

Rule of thumb is the larger the engine, the cooler your (engine) code is.

·
Registered
22 Posts
What does it mean if I have a G code in the 5th digit. I dont see that listed on any of the sites as an option in 1967

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great Information !! Thanks SO both of my 69's are F code, original 302 2v but have been changed to 4v so I have F.5's, F and a Half or a really cool sounding G - G Minus. or even better a Negative G :pirate: Life is getting better everyday !!!

·
Registered
35,893 Posts
What does it mean if I have a G code in the 5th digit. I dont see that listed on any of the sites as an option in 1967
It means the VIN is mis-stamped, or fraudulent. The G code was the 69-70 BOSS 302.

The letters were recycled, not strictly by size. The K was originally used on, I think, an early 260, and the 68 X code was a 390 3V Premium Fuel engine, and the 72-73 could have a Q code 351, for example.

·
Premium Member
5,115 Posts
Are you sure it's not a "C"? The C code was very common in 67...289 2V 200 HP

Dave

·
Registered
637 Posts
Great Information !! Thanks SO both of my 69's are F code, original 302 2v but have been changed to 4v so I have F.5's, F and a Half or a really cool sounding G - G Minus. or even better a Negative G :pirate: Life is getting better everyday !!!
Actually, it goes by letter seniority. For example, T is much higher in the alphabet than K, therefore, a T-code is much more valuable than a K-code. All these guys braggin' about their K-code are just wannabe T-code owners.

:biggrin:

·
Registered
35,893 Posts
I am reading it off my paper registration and it's a "G", but I have a 289 in the car. The VIN number is not on the firewall
It was never on the firewall.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I will need to go back and double check that VIN. Thanks for pointing that out. It's been 20 years since I owned a mustang and I just bought this 67 without much thought about it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Actually, it goes by letter seniority. For example, T is much higher in the alphabet than K, therefore, a T-code is much more valuable than a K-code. All these guys braggin' about their K-code are just wannabe T-code owners.

:biggrin:
You scare me that makes since, so we have been looking at all this the wrong way. The truth has now come to light

proud G neg code owner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts