Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a car that currently has the factory 3spd manual in it.
What would it take to put in a 4spd? Is it worth doing so?
Will the 4 spd fit where the 3spd is without any major modifications?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Whoops, I saw this earlier and finally found it again. C3 and C4 are designations for Ford automatic transmissions. The C3 didn't show up until the late '70's or early '80's.

For a 289/302V8 'Stang:

If you're 3 spd is working and you don't plan on drag racing you can keep it in but is it's shot...

The 4 speed should bolt right in with the same engine mount. If you have a '65 (not sure for other years) you may have to change the trans yoke to the 4 spd type and this may mean a different drive shaft as well. I had a '65 V8 3 spd and when I converted it to a C4 auto trans the drive shaft yoke didn't fit and I think they were different in length. On the other hand, on my previous '65 FB I swapped the same C4 with a 4 spd top loader and the trans yoke and drive shaft fit (drive shaft may have been a bit long, though).

If you have a '65-'66 six cylinder then you have major work. The '65/'66 three speeds used a different bell housing from the Dagenham 4 speed. A better route would be to grab a manual trans bell housing from a '67 and up I6 and use a toploader 4 spd. You still may run into trans yoke/drive shaft issues.

Regards,

Dean T

Shikatta Ga Nai - "It cannot be helped"

1 - 2 of 2 Posts