Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing the kick down on a 1968 with a C4 and 302. there was not one on this when I got it. I haven't driven it since I just completed the engine and transmission rebuilt, but now it is going all back together and I can't seem to find an image of how this is connected. I got the linkage installed but how is the spring connected and the cable to the throttle where the adjustment is. the adjustable post goes through the throttle lever but how is it attached?

Thank you

·
Registered
33,989 Posts
66-68 were all the same, a cable-pull lever. (the 69-73 had the rod shown above) The throttle should first be adjusted to hit WOT when the pedal is pressed to the floor. You then adjust the kickdown cable so that it is pulled all the way at WOT.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Thank you, this helps a lot. Thoughts on the spring located on the lower linkage?
There is no spring on the lower part, its just a cable and clips to your kick down lever on the
trans:

https://www.npdlink.com/product/cable-transmission-kick-down-control-repro/105949?backurl=search/products?search_terms=transmissions%2Bcable&top_parent=200001&year=1967&year=1967

There is the cable, not sure if it comes with all the clips needed though. The kick down on
the trans itself is springy and snaps back if setup right.

·
Registered
33,989 Posts
Thank you, this helps a lot. Thoughts on the spring located on the lower linkage?
The spring on the lever was not always used, although I am not clear on whether this depended on when it was built, or what engine, etc.

All of the cables have the second hole for attaching the spring. The other end of the spring went on a small L bracket on the servo cover bolt.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
This is from the 68 Mustang Shop Manual. My 68 was setup this way when I had a C4 but in addition, mine had a spring at the transmission end.

68KickDown.jpg

P.S. - My apologies if this is similar to 22GT's link. His didn't work for me so I'm unsure what was referenced.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts