Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I learned from an earlier post that I had to find a 50oz flex plate to connect my c4 with my 5.0 conversion. I found the 50oz flex plate and got all excited.... as usual - prematurely...

The flex plate I took off my c4 is significantly smaller than the 50 oz I took off a mid 80s 302. so i took off down to autozone to compare a 93 mustang 5.0 flex plate they had in stock to the one I took off my c4. same difference. there is no way the 50oz will fit my c4. and I have already made sure it is a c4.

what am i missing here?

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I am not to sure if or what flywheel you need but I am pretty sure there is three different sizes and the bell housing must match the flex plate.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Check the code on the transmission....I wouldnt be surprised if it was D4-D8 and perhaps a pintoII (OOOPS...I mean MustangII, LOL) setup.

The MII 302's apparently had a much smaller converter, flywheel, and the block plate was different to accomodate the needed revised starter location.

I hate to say it....but if you do have a MII setup, I'd imagine youll need all the parts I mentioned, maybe even a different bellhousing.

Just because the tranny has a D4-D8 code doesnt automatically mean its a MII setup....but that would explain it.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
'93 Mustangs have AODs and their flex plates are 164 tooth. Double check your C4 flexplate to make sure it's a 157 tooth
and then you can get the B&M 157 tooth 50 oz flex plate. Some one posted before about finding one for $55 but I couldn't find the post using the search function. I'm a little dense when it comes to searching...

Hope that helps,

Dean T

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
HERE'S the flexplate you need! :) $59.95! - They used to run OVER $100!!!

Including the following keywords to help with future searches: 5.0, flexplate, auto, automatic, C4, C-4, 50 ounce, 50 oz, 50-oz, SFI, cheap, Summit, 302, 157 tooth, 157-tooth

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
The flex plate size and teeth # match the TRANSMISSION.

The balance weight matches the ENGINE.

With a post 82 5.0, you need 50 oz.

This is an item which is manufactured in "modern times" because of the popularity of the 5.0 to c4 swap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts