Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,
I have to find idea how to renovate gearbox body. I have cleaned it from old dirt and oil and now it is waiting for disassembly. I am thinking now what to do with the body, as it doesn't look good. Surface has scraps (like lacquer ruptures) ans still looks like it is dirty.
Which will be the Best to renew it:
  • hand sandpaper + grey spray (it is the Cheapest idea and can be done by myself)
  • glass bead blasting (I have done it with alternator and it looks great)
  • glass bead blasting + powder colourless or grey lacquer (to protect it)

OR any other ideas ?

·
Premium Member
6,156 Posts
You can try an acid wash then spray it off and give it a coat of natural grey or satin clear. That would be cheap. Or bead blast it then coat it.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
I use a HF wire brush and Dawn. Then hit it with brake cleaner. It's not pretty, but its clean and oil free. It just hangs under the car unseen. Put your time, effort and money into stuff that's going to be seen.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Scotchbrite pads and solvent works wonders.

Wire brushes tend to gouge and leave rust spots.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok I used engine cleaning solvent (more then a liter), brush and then pressure washer with turbo nozzle. It is clean, but surface has scraps and material has stains with diff colour. I think I can not remove it by any other solvent. This need to be removed mechanically.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Use a brass wire brush.

·
Premium Member
1968 coupe, 1968 vert, 1966 coupe
762 Posts
Use aluma blast it is a rattle can paint it’s what I’ve used on all the metal parts that don’t need to be show quality cause they won’t be seen but that I still want to look good! Suchas bottom of gas tank and my c4

·
Registered
688 Posts
This is timely, as I just did mine. Now, I am generally a stickler for vintage correct, but I have one car that I decided didn’t need to be concours. I had seen the use of wrinkle paint for valve covers, air cleaners, and of course the Rally Pac, so I decided to try that on the C4. I soda blasted the body and bellhousing (still need to do the tailgousing), then acid etched. High-temp winkle paint on the body, Eastwood aluminum engine enamel on the bellhousing (I used self-etching primer first before the engine enamel.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I cleaned mine best I could with high pressure washer and then degreaser/brushing, etc. Then Aluma Blast spray can was good enough for me. Before paint it was "clean" but still looked bad. No primer used

1 - 10 of 10 Posts