Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can I get fluid changed out of the torque converter? My fluid is at least 30 yrs old. Other forums (unrelated to mustangs) have a procedure I have used where you drop the pan, reinstall filter/pan, pull tranny cooler line at the radiator draining the converter. Immediately stop engine and then refill tranny with fluid. I know this works on 199*s taurus, F250s etc cause I have done it. Does this work/will it hurt a c4? Which line is the one to pull? I plan to refill with type f as the tranny has never been rebuilt, I just want all new fluid not 1/2 new fluid, 1/2 old (hell it might be "factory fluid") :shocked:

·
Registered
357 Posts
Not a problem. The fluid is not trapped inside the TC. It flows through constantly while the engine is running. I guess that means it is a "diluted" version of the last changed fluid.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what I wanted to change. I don't want 1/2 and 1/2, so I was hoping a tranny guru might tell me if this procedure will work, or if there is something different about the old trannys (mainly don't want to hurt it) Maybe I wasn't clear- you start the engine after the pan is drained and reinstalled, but only for 5 secs or so until the fluid stops (which I guess is the converter emptying)Then you fill it (around 9.5 qts I think) and voila ALL the fluid is changed without having to pay for the tranny sucking machine (transmission; not that kind of tranny)

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I can pull the plug, drain converter, replace plug/filter/pan gasket, fill with fluid and I am on my way? Question 2- 9.5 qts sound about right? I have 10 qts but wanna know before I get up to my elbows in transmission fluid

·
Registered
861 Posts
If you just do the pan drop then you will need 5 quarts.
If you do the convertor and pan then you will need 9 quarts.

When I first got my car many years ago I drained the t.c. and the pan, didn't want to mix old fluid with new fluid. It is a very straight forward job just take your time.
1. Start by dropping the pan, loosen the rear bolts and let it pour out some, then slowly loosen all the bolts unit most of the fluid has flowed over the edge, then remove the pan and dumped the remaining fluid that is in the pan(always support the pan with your hand).
2. Remove the filter
3. If you are going to drain the t.c. remove the inspection plate (two bolts), then look for a bolt head not a nut, the bolt head is your drain plug. Loosen the bolt and the fluid will flow. Once there is no more drips re-install the bolt and tighten to spec's.
4. Return to your pan and check to see if it is flat (sometimes the bolt leave nipples if they were over tighten(you must have a flat pan).
5. Install the filter.
6. Place the gasket on the pan and install (tighten to spec's don't over tighten).
7. Pour 5 quarts of type 'F' into the filler tube (check for leaks).
8. Start the car, slowly shift the shifter all the way down and up a few times (pause at every gear). You will not feel it going into gear, keep the car running and check for leaks, add some more fluid.
9. Try shifting again this time it will go into gear return the shifter to park and top up the transmission to full on the dip stick (don't over fill) remember to check for leaks. If no leaks take it for a test spin around the block and park it and shut it off and once again check for leak. If no leak re-install the inspection plate.
When you buy the gasket they usually come in a small box and the gasket is twisted everywhere which makes it hard to install. A good tip is to flatten it out the night before, put it between two big books and put a weight on top.
This is a fun job but a dirty job
PS. the fluid amount mention here is for a complete drained system (pan+t.c.) less fluid is required for just the pan
Torque Spec's
Pan bolts 12-16 pound
Convertor drain plug 20-30 pounds

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DONE STAMP!!. Woo Hoo- THanks to all. Exactly as described- One caveat- After 5 qts it overflowed- Started car and it sucked up the fluid (stopping leak) Added the other 4 and its perfect- no leaks, shifts well. I even power braked it (for the wifes benefit) for a few seconds. As we all know this is required after a tranny service and after 30yrs off the road I think the mustang was suffering from a lack of tire smoke as it ran much better after this. I think my mustang is feeling loved now.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I was going to start on my C4 fluids as well this weekend and was going to ask the same questions. Great input from everyone and now I can't wait to get my C4 fluid changed. Thanks Everyone!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts