Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys--

Still on the quest to seal the pan, as it continues to blow out the gasket for whatever reason. It is still beyond me why the gasket goes when the car is wound up higher, but here is my theory. This time, initially, the car seemed to be leaking a tiny bit of fluid after is was driven mildly, but it seemed to be coming from the overflow vent. After that, the pan did not leak much more than a drop from anywhere, but it was not really wound up at all. Yesterday, I wound up the car a little bit, not really even that far, and the pan gasket let go again. So my best guess is that the fluid level is expanding a very large amount when it is worked that hard and gets really hot, causing pressure to buildup and blow the weakest area. This only seems to hold true though if there is too much fluid in there. After the last gasket change I replaced 2.5 qts of fluid, and after warming the car up there was no fluid level on the dipstick. Thinking that I may have been putting too much fluid in the tranny, I left it alone, and have checked it a few times since, and twice there was fluid on the dipstick, once a little below "add" and once almost in the middle. So am I putting too much fluid in the tranny? How much should be replaced after just changing a gasket on a stock depth C4 pan?? If I have been putting too much fluid in there, why is my dipstick reading incorrectly?? Another interesting thing is that when I took off the last pan gasket, it was probably the best seal that I have ever gotten, as the pan held itself up with a cork gasket and no silicone or anything. I had to push, pull, wiggle, and all sorts of things to get that off of there, but nonetheless fluid was leaking between the gasket and the pan. Any ideas??? My only other thought is that the pan is different from original. I seem to remember that there were no indentations on the original pan, but I may be wrong. The current pan has some indentations on the driver's side about halfway up, and the back of the pan, where it slopes downward into the pan. I thought this was more of a C5 characteristic, but the gasket I have gotten to replace the old on has those exact indentations. Have I just mistaken how the original pan was constructed, or are new replacement pans just designed to accomodate both???

Thanks
Dave

·
Premium Member
19,203 Posts
I'm not an automagic expert, and I don't play one on VMF.

Your problem sounds a lot like a bad check-valve for the torque converter. It takes up the fluid, and should keep it there. If it doesn't, the tranny overfills with fluid, and seeps out. Or so I've been told....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts