Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What is the proper sequence of the C4, fwd shifter linkage rod to transmission linkage. Is the following pic correct (bottom of pic (outter side to car) to top of pic (inner side of car))

Shifter Linkage Rod
Curved washer
Washer
Transmission Rod
Cotter pin

The maintenance manual from what I see, just states to remove and install, no particuar sequence shown or provided. What few pics (drawings) I see of this area on the interweb from manuals, does not do the area justice to determine the proper sequence of the hardware.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AWHTX, well........that looks like it shoud be it, but my set up is 180 out from the pic, view Z is view P and vice versa. In view Z, my link bar has the open eyelet to slide adjust the linkge as shown in view P, it is pretty much a bolt that holds it to the shifter linkage. My view P, the transmission linkage arm just has a hole in it, the linkage bar bends 90 degrees there, and its head goes through the hole in the transmission shift linkage if all that makes since? I was installing it as I removed it, could the previosu owner or mechanic installed the shifter linkage rod incorrectly, 180 degrees out from the drawing above?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine looks like the pic I just found on the inter web. A friend is telling that it goes like this:

Shift Link Rod
Transmission Shift link arm
Wave Washer
Washer
Cottor pin

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
It might be a year to year thing with the ends of the rod. Mine (67 200 C4) has the 90 degree end at the front and the adjustable end at the rear. Though I seem to be missing those shiny washers you've got so I can't say where they go.

Here's what mine looks like front and rear. It's a lot like that pic you just posted just greasier and under the car.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Magnus, perfect pics, exactly what I was looking for other than the proper orientation of the new hardware from NPD that I purchased to replace the old. My linkage was installed exactly like yours when I removed the C4 for rebuild. Thanks again and as a bounus, you included the lick down cable. Where does the other end of that spring attach?

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
On my car the spring just hooks into the cast in hole just down and to the right. I'm not sure if that's the factory location or not but it works and I don't really see anywhere else to hook it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts