Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I discovered that my kickdown cable doesn't have a return spring. Actually, the first thing I discovered was that the kickdown cable has nothing to do with the neutral safety switch. That involved buying a brand new cable. Anyway, there was no return spring, and no bracket on the transmission to attach the spring to. New parts are on their way.

I understand that the bracket mounts at one of the servo cover bolts on the C4. So, my question is, what do I need to be aware of before removing that bolt? Is there fluid in there that could leak out? A gasket that should be replaced while I'm at it?

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Different year cars were configured differently. Give some info on YOUR car so the right configuration is being discussed.

Thanks
Bryan

·
Registered
7,107 Posts
I discovered that my kickdown cable doesn't have a return spring. Actually, the first thing I discovered was that the kickdown cable has nothing to do with the neutral safety switch. That involved buying a brand new cable. Anyway, there was no return spring, and no bracket on the transmission to attach the spring to. New parts are on their way.

I understand that the bracket mounts at one of the servo cover bolts on the C4. So, my question is, what do I need to be aware of before removing that bolt? Is there fluid in there that could leak out? A gasket that should be replaced while I'm at it?
What year?
As Bryan mentioned, you really need to offer more specifics. This being stated, there is an "O" ring on the shaft where the neutral safety switch is located. If this "ring" is damaged or missing, you'll get an obvious leak. I know this to be true for the 65-66s, perhaps all of them, as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Sorry for the lack of detail. Mine is a 66 C code, with a C4 which I believe is stock. No idea if or when it has been rebuilt; all I can say is that it hasn't been in the last 6 years. The neutral safety switch was disconnected and bypassed, and while I was pulling that off and cleaning it up (it works fine and is reconnected, and there's no apparent leak there), I got to wondering about the kickdown cable. Once I figured out what it was and what it did, I realized there was supposed to be a return spring attached to the end of the cable that clips to the kickdown lever coming through the neutral safety switch. I eventually found out that the other end of that spring is supposed to connect to a bracket mounted at the lower rear bolt on the low-reverse servo cover.

I have the 66 shop manual, and it's a little confusing - for the V8, it shows a bellcrank apparently somewhere near the carb, with a rod running down to the kickdown lever. Despite the C-code, I've apparently got the V-6 style cable setup. According to someone at another forum, that's an error in the manual. Anyway ....

From the shop manual, it looks like there's a seal under the servo cover. Should that be replaced if I'm taking out the one bolt to mount the bracket? Is there anything else I should be aware of?

·
Registered
7,107 Posts
Sorry for the lack of detail. Mine is a 66 C code, with a C4 which I believe is stock. No idea if or when it has been rebuilt; all I can say is that it hasn't been in the last 6 years. The neutral safety switch was disconnected and bypassed, and while I was pulling that off and cleaning it up (it works fine and is reconnected, and there's no apparent leak there), I got to wondering about the kickdown cable. Once I figured out what it was and what it did, I realized there was supposed to be a return spring attached to the end of the cable that clips to the kickdown lever coming through the neutral safety switch. I eventually found out that the other end of that spring is supposed to connect to a bracket mounted at the lower rear bolt on the low-reverse servo cover.

I have the 66 shop manual, and it's a little confusing - for the V8, it shows a bell crank apparently somewhere near the carb, with a rod running down to the kick-down lever. Despite the C-code, I've apparently got the V-6 style cable setup. According to someone at another forum, that's an error in the manual. Anyway ....

From the shop manual, it looks like there's a seal under the servo cover. Should that be replaced if I'm taking out the one bolt to mount the bracket? Is there anything else I should be aware of?

Hi Brian
The 65 V8 has the bell crank and kick down rod and linkage setup. So, yes that must be an error.
I believe they did go to a cable setup in 66.
If you are removing one bolt from, what I think you are talking about (reverse band servo cover) then, that's not going to break the seal, in itself.
Typically, when one mentions the "servo" they are talking about the main servo and vac modulator located on the opposite side. These control your shifting effort and timing. So, make sure the rubber hose is in good condition and tight to the vac. modulator. If it is loose, or leaking, this will affect the shifting.
Does your manual tell you how to adjust the kick-down cable? It will work in unison with the accelerator linkage.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
65 setup

If you have a bellcrank bolted to the intake maifold, that is a 65 setup. The 66's have a 1/16" dia exposed steel cable that pulls the kickdown lever when you punch it. On that setup, the only "return springs" is the one at the carburetor that keeps the accel pedal up, and the one inside the transmission where the kickdown pushrod goes into the valve body.

The kickdown lever shaft has 2 o-rings, if I remember right, that seal it. The only way to replace them is to disassemble the transmission. It's gotta come out. I have been told by C-4 transmission experts that 8-10 years is all you can expect out of the o-rings before they start cracking and leaking.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm pretty sure I'm talking about the reverse band servo cover, kenash. Same place the ID tag is mounted. (I haven't been back under the car to confirm this, but I don't remember seeing that, either, so I'm guessing at least this servo has been serviced at some point in the past, if not the entire transmission.)

Bryan, I noticed that there must have been a spring on the kickdown lever inside the tranny because it does spring back on its own. But the shop manual definitely also shows a return spring attached directly to the tranny end of the cable and to a bracket which, as I said, I've learned is mounted at that servo cover. That's from the V6 setup illustration, but I guess we've already established that there's an error in the manual. (I didn't think they had cut and paste back in the 60s. :) ) The internal springiness seems more than sufficient; I assume the external spring provides a layer of redundancy rather than adding needed force. Did Ford forego that in '66? Or was that a difference between a C4 intended for a V8 and one intended for a V6? (I wouldn't have expected there to be any differences, but I'm pretty new to this.)

By the way, the way I adjusted the kickdown cable is, I had the wife floor the accelerator, and I pulled the tranny kickdown lever all the way forward, and adjusted the trunnion to reach the accelerator lever. Seemed pretty straightforward. It downshifts when I stomp on it, anyway.

The kickdown lever shaft doesn't seem to be leaking, so the o-rings are apparently still ok. If I'm going to have to pull and disassemble the tranny to get to them, they're just gonna stay the way they are for now.

·
Registered
451 Posts
It is not necessary to pull the transmission. Drop the pan and valve body, remove nut holding exterior levers then remove large nut on inside restraining lever there. One part of the linkage slides out to the inside of the case the other slides to outside. One note: I recommend getting new "O" rings from a Ford source as over the years of the C4 several different sizes were used.

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts
The V8 and I-6 (not V6) in 66 used the same type cable with
no spring that hooked onto a lever that fastened to the gas
pedal linkage and then to the lever on the trans by the neutral
safety switch so sounds like you have what you need.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Questions

Bryan, I noticed that there must have been a spring on the kickdown lever inside the tranny because it does spring back on its own. But the shop manual definitely also shows a return spring attached directly to the tranny end of the cable and to a bracket which, as I said, I've learned is mounted at that servo cover. That's from the V6 setup illustration, but I guess we've already established that there's an error in the manual. (I didn't think they had cut and paste back in the 60s. :) ) The internal springiness seems more than sufficient; I assume the external spring provides a layer of redundancy rather than adding needed force. Did Ford forego that in '66? Or was that a difference between a C4 intended for a V8 and one intended for a V6? (I wouldn't have expected there to be any differences, but I'm pretty new to this.)
My car is a 66. The transmission is the one that came in the car. I looked at the hole in the kickdown ever where the external spring loops through. That hole doesn't show any wear like a loop of a spring wuld cause in 40+ years. The bracket at the servo cover is absent and there is no abrasion marks around the bolt where it would attach.

It seems probable to me that the exteral spring WAS for 6 bangers only in 66. Now... I remember seeing a 65/289 car that Charles Turner restored, having the bracket for the spring at the servo cover. That car had the hard pushrod to the lever for the kickdown. If your car has a 65 style kickdown system, then the external spring may be legit?

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,326 Posts
My car (64 1/2 D Code) originally had a 4 Speed Toploader. It was replaced by a PO with a C4 and has no return spring but it seems to work fine without one. I have the cable adjusted so the tranny down shifts just beyond 1/2 throttle. Is there a problem not having a return spring?

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Works

My car (64 1/2 D Code) originally had a 4 Speed Toploader. It was replaced by a PO with a C4 and has no return spring but it seems to work fine without one. I have the cable adjusted so the tranny down shifts just beyond 1/2 throttle. Is there a problem not having a return spring?
Sounds like your PO put a 66 setup on it. If it works, no damage is being done.
If you like where it downshifts, fine, even though Ford wanted it to happen with the accelerator closer to the floor.

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,326 Posts
Sounds like your PO put a 66 setup on it. If it works, no damage is being done.
If you like where it downshifts, fine, even though Ford wanted it to happen with the accelerator closer to the floor.
I think it does have a 66 setup. At least the transmission based is on the shift pattern won't shift into third if it's not at the in the position just below neutral. I chose to set the kick down just past half throttle because after building the engine it's very responsive with little throttle and it takes little foot pressure to get the car moving. Cruising at 70 MPH on the interstate I'm at about 1/4th throttle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
kick down return spring

Dennis here, took a virgin motor and trans out of a 66 Mustang that sat for 28 years, and as you said, there is no return spring on bellcrank,or linkage, or on end of cable. No return spring anywhere.

·
Registered
35,835 Posts
I've never been clear on what and when, but some had the spring on the cable, and some did not.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts