Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im working on a Summit carb install on my 65.

The throttle linkage I made works well and clears the oem snorkle air cleaner.

The original linkage will not work, the Z is in the wrong location to engage the kickdown bellcrank. I tried both the 2V and 4V throttle rod.

There is a Ford kickdown on the carb linkage, but I dont see how I could extend the rod from the C4 to engage the linkage.

Is my only option to convert to a 66 pedal assembly and cable kickdown?

It seems like a lot of work to swap a Holly style carb on a 65. Nothing fits.

Attachments

·
Registered
36,555 Posts
Well, if you use the stock throttle linkage, Holleys are bolt-on.

That said, you should be able to install the 66-68 linkage in 2-3 hours.

·
Registered
37,783 Posts
Don't you have this bellcrank assembly, which is bolted to the rear of the intake manifold?

·
Registered
36,555 Posts
I misspoke earlier. The Summit carb, like the Holley, is bolt-in with the stock linkage. You'll have to use the later style kickdown with that otherwise very nice linkage rod.

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
22GT The stock linkage will not work. It attaches to the carb but the Z for the kickdown is to far foreword from the bellcrank to engage it at WOT.

The Z in the linkage would need to be about an inch toward the firewall.

I could try heat and bend it straight, then rebend the Z in the proper position, but that usually doesnt work to well.

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ive got too many irons in the fire right now so I am going to remove the kickdown and run without it until I get time to address it and do it right.

This is just an around town weekend cruiser so the kickdown isnt really necessary.

·
Registered
37,783 Posts
Were you putting the throttle rod in the small hole as shown in the image below?

·
Registered
37,783 Posts
FWIW, if you need to "adjust" the throttle rod so that the "Z" is farther to the rear to actuate the kickdown, consider doing this...

Figure out where you need to cut the OE linkage to shorten the rear and lengthen the front to effectively move the "Z", thread the linkage 10-32 and reconnect using 10-32 aluminum standoffs with 10-32 jam nuts.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
This is the lokar setup on my 65 Mustang. Paid $65 for the kit but I did make a custom bracket for it to mount to the AirGap intake and for the throttle return springs to hook on . Really easy to setup.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think that I will install a 66 setup this winter. At some point this setup will go in my 67 and I will want to put the 65 as close to stock-ish as possible.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts