Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started to get slipping in drive so I shifted into second and it seemed good enough to get me about 1/2 mile home. After a little bit something popped and I coasted into a parking lot. I had reverse so guess how I got home? Anyone familiar with C4's have any ideas? Fluid level is fine by the way.

Thanks,
Andy

·
Registered
137 Posts
um well my c-4 got fried back the transmission cooling lines where pinched. when it started going out i'd have it in drive and give the car gas and the tranny would just be slipping and barely going 10 mph reving the engine high.

after that i said screw c-4 transmissions and converted my car to a t-5 and i have problems with that one too. guess i have bad tranny luck

but ya i'd suggest u just convert to a top loader or t-5

·
Registered
765 Posts
It's been over 23 years, since I rebuilt mine, but I think I remember this one.

First Check the Vacuum Modulator for suction and functionality. If that's working fine, then yo may have lost forward clutch or band. Some reassembly will be required....... Sorry.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
you smell that? that trannys toast

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I figured it wasn't good when I was driving home backwards, also that grinding noise that it made (only under load mind you).

O.K. guys I've prepared myself, Don't sugar coat it.

Oh well now I really have to decide weather to AOD or to Tremec.

Anyone have a manual and kids? I'm 6'-2" and have to move my seat up a couple of inches for my kids. It seems that would make using the clutch uncomfortable. I really want the stick but that's my dilemma. Seems the conversions cost about the same.

I'll have to check the color of the fluid but it was fine this morning. The car has only been back on the road for about a month from major floor and chassis work , and a stroker

Andy

·
Registered
314 Posts
STROKER!!!!!!!!
Stock C4's will only handle about 300HP
If that's it in your avatar your smokin your tranny while smokin the tires

·
Registered
765 Posts
I'd investigate further before writing it off. I rebuilt mine without a manual, just used a TON of masking tape to number each piece I took off, and then rebuilt it, changing out the pieces from a kit. It was pretty simple. I'd check the vacuum modulator first, especially if it had been driving fine and then stopped suddenly......

AndyZed said:
O.K. guys I've prepared myself, Don't sugar coat it.

I'll have to check the color of the fluid but it was fine this morning. The car has only been back on the road for about a month from major floor and chassis work , and a stroker

Andy

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll get under there tomorrow and check the vacuum line and the fluid. The grinding as I was driving in reverse was reminiscent of when I used to blow up T10's in my 66 chevy for fun and sport.

The C4 wasn't stock it was built, but I guess the stroker was built better.

I really want to do a tremec because the car is trans-am themed and I don't think they came with auto's.

Thanks for the replies guys

Andy

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Just had a similiar issue with my C4 . I lost all forward gears intermittently . I pulled the valve body out and removed each " plunger " from the sides of the valve body and cleaned them up using 400/600 grit wet/dry . So far i have about 25-30 miles on the trans around town and no problems . Luck or not I don't know . Now to drive the car to work .

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've never been inside an automatic other than changing a filter so I don't know about just diving in.

Andy

·
Registered
765 Posts
To Quote the Infamous OJ Simpson in the movie Capricorn One, "Piece of Cake!!!!"

(He says this after running through the desert for days in fear for his life, standing at the base of a 500 foot cliff that goes straight up, that he's gotta climb. My favorite part of the movie is when his head clears the top of the cliff and they wax him.......) }:|

AndyZed said:
I've never been inside an automatic other than changing a filter so I don't know about just diving in.

Andy

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well at least I'll know how they work after Having someone put back together what I took apart. I think they charge more for that.

Andy

·
Registered
89 Posts
If you come to Farmingdale I have a c-4 I just removed from my car,shifted great and had a shift kit installed.I just want it out of my shed,so come and get it,you can't beat the price ;) Rich

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I've got a stock rebuilt C4 with a shift kit behind my 351w. I hammer it pretty hard and its held up so far. I've only put about a 1,000 mi on it, but I think I'm pushing close to 400hp. Also I rebuilt the tranny myself, and it was the first time being inside a tranny for me. I say get a book and give it a shot. I'd do it again.

·
Registered
838 Posts
My stock c4 lasted 2 months after my 347 lets just say I only had 1st and R. Race built now baby for 600 hp. Did I mention that was expensive?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
jense said:
If you come to Farmingdale I have a c-4 I just removed from my car,shifted great and had a shift kit installed.I just want it out of my shed,so come and get it,you can't beat the price ;) Rich
Rich, I can help you clean your shed. I'll E-mail you my info.

Thanks,

Andy

1 - 19 of 19 Posts