Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So tonight we get the '65 up on jackstands and yank the low-reverse servo piston. It looks fine ... although I'm not sure what it would like if that was our problem, which was the general concensus. So we yank the valve body, and the low-reverse band is just kinda floppin' around in there. In studying my tranny book, it looks like we're missing the apply strut for the low-reverse band. Where the hell could it have gone? It must have been there before, because it's had reverse for 3 years until last week.

My understanding is that the server piston pushes on the apply strut which squeezes the band against the drum, correct? So I think my problem is just that my apply strut has somehow vaporized, and so the band can't be squeezed around the drum. What's the odds I'll be able to find another apply strut?

G

·
0 Posts
The apply strut will be about 1.25 in wide and 1.75in long. It's tapered like a wedge. The fat side has a ball socket for the piston and the skinny side has a slot. Hope this helps. There is no way it vaporized so if it ain't in the pan It went somewhere else. This isn't good. Good luck finding it. You are correct that it must be in there. No way would you have has reverse w/o it.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Look in the extension housing.....also, note the condition of the engagement tang on the band and the end of the servo piston rod; that might provide some clues as to what happened to the strut..

I've probably got one in my trans core parts pile....if you need one and can't find it locally, when I get this big job done I'm working on, I'll rummage through it...

G

·
0 Posts
I'm sure you realize this but just in case. Even if you need a new one make sure you have recoverd the old. That sucker could make a real mess in there. Also, I'd be worried already that it may have caused some issues. If I were you I'd probably pull the trans and check it out. Thing is I can do lot myself and anything I can't handle can be done by a good friend. Hope you find it.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Reposted from Clev357:

I'm sure you realize this but just in case. Even if you need a new one make sure you have recoverd the old. That sucker could make a real mess in there. Also, I'd be worried already that it may have caused some issues. If I were you I'd probably pull the trans and check it out. Thing is I can do lot myself and anything I can't handle can be done by a good friend. Hope you find it.

Concur....check it out and good luck John...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts