Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this one is really getting to me. I cannot seem to get the pan to seal on my transmission. I have gone through about 4-6 gasket changes and always end up with the same result. I switched pans after about 2 gaskets because the original didn't look too good and I figured it was part of the problem. Now I am gettin the same thing happening with this pan. I can get the pan to seal, sometimes for days on end, but then all the sudden it seems like it just gives out and decides it isn't going to work anymore. It generally won't start leaking till the fluid/tranny has warmed up a little bit. This last time, I coated the gasket with some aluminum particle paint, and made extra sure not to over torque the bolts, and it held really well for 4 days or so, without losing a drop. Yesterday I went out and wound up the car to about 6K rpm or so, and the pan just let go big time, and I had an abundance of tranny fluid gushing all over my hot exhaust pipes, causing a whole lot of white smoke. I did not think the fluid in the pan area of the tranny was under pressure, so why would the gasket would blow out without pressure is beyond me. Am I wrong? Any other ideas on what would cause this gasket to continue letting go?

Thanks
Dave

G

·
0 Posts
There shouldn't be any pressure in the pan, you may try Loc-Tite on the bolts instead of over-tightning them !!

G

·
0 Posts
I gave up on trying to stop my pan from leaking.I just park it on an old piece of carpet in the garage.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Sometimes it is not the pan but from shifter levers and it looks like the pan is leaking..Just a thought Gary

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Gary6768 advice is good. Also, the tranny dipstick tube uses an "O" ring which a lot of folks overlook. It gets hard with age no longer sealing. And when it leaks, the fluid migrates around the pan looking an awful lot like your pan gasket is the problem, when it isn't.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Could be the vent.... My C-4 would puke out about a quart and then no more.... Did this when the motor was buzzed up.

The vent is on the driver side, between the gear selector and the reverse/first servo cover.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've thought about that too Art, so I will check to make sure that is not the culprit before I go busting the pan off, because like I said, this time it was not leaking a drop for a good couple of days.

Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is definitely the pan that is leaking, the dipstick and other areas are dry. The same part of the pan always leaks, the back. The gasket looked to be in decent shape, but the pan did seem to be a little warped in the back end there, so it may be time for a new pan. Has anyone purchased and aftermarket one that has a nice thick flange and has worked well for them? I am attempting a double gasket this time around, but my guess is that will just give it another place to leak from. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
I got a pretty thick C4 pan from PAW. It is chrome plated and has a drain plug. $20

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
How about the TFS-1006 "Trick Flow" pan from Summit? 1" thick bolt bosses and 1/4" thick rails - no warpage there! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif Plus, a drain plug and extra 1 quart capacity...about $89.

http://a5.cpimg.com/image/3B/A7/8980795-7179-00800060-.jpg

http://a1.cpimg.com/image/41/A7/8980801-477a-02000180-.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts