Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of doing a 1978 King Cobra Restomod project. I know nobody likes the Mustang II. :( Anyway I started this project almost 2 years ago. I have a 347 stroker ready to go in. I purchased a rebuilt C4 set up to handle big HP for it about 2 years ago. Since the project was on hold for a long time I have forgotten all the specs on the C4. I thought I remember it as having a standard automatic valve body. However I took it off the shelf yesterday to get it bolted up to the motor and discovered a couple of things that make me wonder. There is no kickdown lever installed and the vacuum modulator hole is plugged with a freeze plug. This all makes me believe that is has a reverse manual valve body. Is my assumption correct? There is no way a C4 can shift automatically with out a VM, correct? If my assumptions are correct, what are your guys opinions of street driving a manual VB? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
This is not my area of expertise but without the modulator you are going to have very high line pressure all the time and yes it would definitely be a full manual valvebody. With the modulator you would have low line pressure at light load or cruise. Not a good combo for a street car. I would change the valvebody, knock out the freeze plug and add a modulator and buy the lokar kickdown cable set up. Or if you replace the trans get one from BTE, They usually have a good price on the c-4

1 - 2 of 2 Posts