Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been getting tons of input and help from this site for a year without posting anything. Now I really need help. Installing a c4 from a column shift car and need to swap over shifter arm and neutral safety switch. How do I remove the arm? Already removed nut on the shaft and two bolts holding neutral safety switch but the arm seems attached by something. I already did a VMF search but didn't see anything. I know one of you guys knows how to remove. Thanks

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Bad news ... it only come out from the INSIDE. Remove pan, then remove the valve body. Only then will you be able to access the manual shift arm. You'll see a large nut (1" IIRC), that you'll remove, then slide the whole thing out (or should I say IN *LOL*). Be careful when puting the valve body back in that the internal kick down arm is situated against it's valve correctly and that the manual shift arm is sitting in the manual shift valve detent.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Do you have the correct arm for a Mustang shifter? You can just flip the column shift arm around, but from what I'm told, you'll have difficulty getting the shifter to work right as it may/may not be the right length and so could throw the shifter out of wack. The one time I did the same thing, I went and found the propper shift arm and kickdown lever, to avoid the problem (so I don't really have experience in just flipping the arm around ... just what I've been told).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I knew VMF would have the answer. Just went and bought the trans rebuild book and your advise is correct. I do have the correct lever from the old trans but I'm a little nervous about pulling the valve body out. Here goes. Thanks again

1 - 4 of 4 Posts