Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I moved 1200 miles away and had my car delivered last week. It had been in "the shop" to have the transmisson redone for the second time.

Fired it up for the second time a couple of days ago (total driving of less than 10 miles) and after a mile or so it exhibited the same symtoms as before.

It flet as if there was something in the transmission "braking" or otherwise causing extra friciton/drag. After another mile or so it started to smoke!!!

I turned around and headed home and it got worse as far as smoking. I limped home and after it cooled down I checked the fluid and it was scorched (black and smelled burned).

I'll deal with the shop in an as yet unknown way, but right now, my concern is to get it fixed.

1. Anyone know a good Ford/tranny shop in the Austin, Tx. area?

2. Any ideas as to what they missed these two times?

I wonder if the stall convertor (3200) is bad.

All help appreciated.

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
I wonder if the stall convertor (3200) is bad

It likely is now, depending on how much dreck circulated. Would you really want to put this converter on a fresh, new tranny? Personally, I don't think the converter caused your problems. C4's are so simple to repair that, I think, as others have mentioned, that the first shop forgot to back off the band adjustments.

Pull the pan and the valve body and I'll bet you'll know exactly what happened.

Let us know what you (or the new shop) finds....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts