Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 70 that has been sitting for several years (302 2v). I have always had a toploader and am not experienced with automatics. Anyway, I cranked up the motor but when I try to put it in gear nothing happens at all. When I got it we put it on a platform truck but we didn't have the keys so we kind of dragged it on there (shifter in park). Could this have damaged it? When pushing the car you can put it in park and it moves fairly easily and makes a clicking sound. Could the linkage possibly just be out of whack? What is the prognosis? Can any transmission shop repair the C4? Is it a fortune? Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
You might have broken the parking pawl or gear on the tailshaft when dragging the car up onto the transporter....

Disconnect the shifter linkage at the trans and attempt to pull the lever all the way back by hand and see if the pawl engages fully...

No-operation....have you checked the fluid level in the trans...?

C4's are easy and inexpensive to rebuild....figure on 4-500.00 for a rebuilt one with a rebuilt stock converter...you install it...

Pat
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1570936&a=11937754&p=42910787.jpg

·
Registered
222 Posts
C4s are notorious for seals drying up in the clutch packs. This will let fluid leak out causing fluid pressure drop. If you let the car idle for awhile it may go in gear. If it does you have bad seals. C4's are easy to rebuild, get a good book

1 - 3 of 3 Posts