Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My c4 is in desperate need of help. I always hear how people put the AOD in their mustang and say how great it is.... should putting in a tci shift kit into my rebuilt C4 compare to a new trans or an AOD?? i dont want to spend the money, and to keep the original trans in it

·
Supporting Vendor
3,961 Posts
C4's are good transmissions. A AOD is just that, a overdrive. A well build C4 with a
nice shift kit will give years of service and rip off second gear any time you want.
AOD's in stock form don't get second gear.

G

·
0 Posts
My understanding of trannies is pretty basic. The major difference is your original C4 doesn't have overdrive. If you do a lot of commuting you'll rev lower at high speed and get a little better gas mileage. If you've already spent the money and had the C4 rebuilt, shift kits are cheap and will give you firmer shifts. A new trans is hard on the wallet. A friend of mine has an rebuilt aod in his 67, he was excited about it but I wasn't impressed after a few rides in it.

67 coupe, 289

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i havent rebuilt it yet, just wondering if it was worth spening the 1500+ dollars at least on an AOD to getting something comprable from my c4 with a shift kit

G

·
0 Posts
You don't have to spend $1,500
I found a 90 AOD for $50. Install a TCI super pro kit for $200. Then parts for the conversion.
I should have it at under $850.
Of course that may still be more then what your wanting to spend.
Whatever you do just make sure it's really what you want and that it is a step toward the goal you have in mind for the car.

Hey, just my $.02

Drew
66' 289 2v, C-4, bench and a/c
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1594736&a=12147274&p=44139589.jpg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts