Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My C4 is a 2 year old reman with 200 miles on it, the PO a local shop do the work. I dont know anything else. I stopped by the shop and the old guy wasn't talkative, so that was a wasted trip.

When I drained the fluid, there was a lot of metal in it. The fluid was bright red, looked new.

The tranny tag is gone. It's a C6DP-7006-A. Date code is 14 Mar 66. My cars scheduled build date is 31 Mar 67.

Should I buy the BadShoe video and tear into this myself, go back to the shop, or use this as a core?

I'm installing a 250 to replace the 200 and want the tranny to V8 specs.

I have the V8 bell, block plate and a new reman 24 spline converter.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I'd forget about that shop fixing it since in their mind you are not the customer that hired them so they have no loyalty to you. I would either look for a reputable shop to repair it for you or if you are comfortable doing the rebuild yourself, do that. The Bad Shoe Videos are great. I did mine following Ken's procedure on the video and my trans run like new. You just have to make sure everything is right, take no short cuts, do the air checks, and correct whatever is not right, as needed. The rebuild kit will cost about $120 from National Parts Depot. The (4) different size select fit thrust washers used to adjust end play are available online as well (about $5). The spring compress tool is available on Ebay for about $20 but you will have to modify it a little to fit the clutch pack.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Bad shoe makes it very easy. I would not hesitate to do it if you question the trans.

·
Registered
1967 Mustang Convertible
976 Posts
Does the trans not shift? 200 miles since rebuild, you sure its not just band material, kind of like clutch material? C4 are pretty tough. So curious if you know the trans is bad that you are already going to rebuilt it?

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
check dipstick tube for leak. drain it, rtv the o ring and let sit overnight and refill. new o rings still leak...so i do this.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought it was running fine. Good shifts, no slipping. I had a slight panic when I drained it and saw the metal. I have not dropped the pan. I'm at least a month maybe two before I get the engine in the car. I either need to work faster or pretend that I done see what I'm seeing. I'm in day 3 of a planned 1 day of prepping the engine bay for pain't. I think its bed liner over everything. + I'm finding a bunch of holes that will need plugs.

So shoud I change the filter and run it and see what happens? I had planned on a deeper pan anyway. The heat down here is brutal.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
clean pan, change filter and run it. Check again later. IF it shifts good, ignore your previous findings. At next fluid change, if you see more metal, then make your decision.
Where are you located? I've got lots of C4's for parts....

·
Registered
688 Posts
Can you post a picture of the METAL you are seeing? It came from somewhere. Would you rather find and fix now while it's already out, or take a chance and maybe have to pull it later to fix?
Also keep in mind, the hardest part about doing a transmission rebuild is taking it out and putting it back in the car. Once it is out, the rebuild part is simple. If you have everything ready to go and are organized ahead of time and have reviewed the Bad Shoe Videos and are familiar with the process, to take it apart and reassemble takes just a few hours. Hardest part on the rebuild is cleaning everything.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts