Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys--

I have a 66 c4 in my coupe that I rebuilt a little while ago, but just now am getting the engine done, so I am starting to notice a few things. I have a 2500 rpm stall converter in there, in case that has a bearings on the diagnosis. After I filled up the tranny with fluid, I noticed that some came out the breather tube that is located on the drivers side of the tranny. I assume that I just put too much fluid in there, is this a correct assumption? If so, how much fluid is the entire system supposed to take? Also, I am noticing a whining noise during acceleration, and it seems to linger at steady speed as well. Any thoughts on what would cause this whining?

Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
NEVER FILL AN AUTOMATIC TRANNY UNTIL YOURE SURE HOW TO CORRECTLY CHECK THE LEVEL!!!!!!!!!!!

NEVER OVERFILL AN AUTOMATIC TRANNY AND DRIVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
If the trans was filled for the first time (both trans and converter empty), I usually fill the trans with 4 qts of ATF, start the engine, and while the cam is breaking in, I'll add some more ATF....usually 2-3 more qts. That should be enough to fill the converter and allow the trans to operate and get the air out. I always fire new engines with the car on stands so I can run the trans through the gears to completely circulate the fluid. Once the engine has run for awhile and the trans fluid is up to temp, I'll check the level with the dipstick and add fluid in small amounts until it reads full (checked on level ground with the engine running and trans in Park)

You likely overfilled the trans and the excess came out the vent....the level will have dropped once the engine was started and the trans pump filled the converter, cooler and lines.
Currently, other than the whining noise, how does the car drive? How is the trans shift quality?

The whining noise, if road speed dependent, is likely rear gear noise or axle bearings. If rpm dependent, it could be the trans pump or converter or possibly an engine accessory.
Does the whine exist when revving the engine up with the trans in park or nuetral? How about if running through the gears while the car is up on stands? Pull the dipstick and report the condition of the fluid...note any odd color or bubbles as well as the level.

Get back to us....

G

·
0 Posts
Dave,
Like it's already been stated, you can only put three or four quarts in an empty trans. without the engine running. If the torque converter and transmission were empty when you started out, it should take nine quarts to bring the level to the full mark.

G

·
0 Posts
9 quarts? I've been doing thes 30 years & never seen that! My C-6's never hold 9! 6 is the most I ever had a C-4 hold with an empty, stock converter(Big block, pan fill). My drag car with an 8" converter only holds 4 of the old Mobil 1. camachinist hit it right on(as always) jack her up, start with some, add till full.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did the road testing today, and the trans appears to be doing better. The fluid level has come down to normal, although maybe a touch low as it is just above the "add" mark. The shift quality is good, as it will pick up in the next gear right away, and it shifts pretty quick. I was able to get some tire burn on the 1-2 shift, and I haven't been brave enough to try the 2-3 shift yet.....The fluid does have a few bubbles in it when I look at it on the dipstick. The whine is either not existent, or not prevalent when the car is revved in park or neutral. The whine seems to get higher pitched, following the rpm increase, up till about 40mph or so. There is some definite whining noise coming from the axle area, so that may attribute to some of it, but I have posted a new thread on those problems.

Thanks
Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts