Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I recently had to park the old girl due to the trans slipping like crazy. I have been looking into swapping over to a manual but have not decided yet. Has anyone else been in this position? If I send it in it will be close to 1k to have it rebuilt. If I did it myself time permitting it would be closer to $400. What would it cost to swap a 4 or 5 speed in? I plan on driving it on the weekends and occasionally to work. Right now its a 289 4v. I am a mechanic so I would be doing most if not all of the work myself. Any thoughts or opinions are appreciated.

·
Registered
19 Posts
That is an expensive swap. Bell housing, flywheel, pedals, possibly cross member as well as the gears in the rear end not to mention linkages, speedo cable amd gears(most manual speedo cables go into the passengers side instead of the drivers). I recently looked into it and decided for the money, I would get a well built automatic. According to the engine you have, a C-6 may be a good option. Mine is a 67 with a transplamted 351 Cleveland and a C-4.
Hello all, I recently had to park the old girl due to the trans slipping like crazy. I have been looking into swapping over to a manual but have not decided yet. Has anyone else been in this position? If I send it in it will be close to 1k to have it rebuilt. If I did it myself time permitting it would be closer to $400. What would it cost to swap a 4 or 5 speed in? I plan on driving it on the weekends and occasionally to work. Right now its a 289 4v. I am a mechanic so I would be doing most if not all of the work myself. Any thoughts or opinions are appreciated.

·
Registered
397 Posts
In my opinion you answered your own question by stating "I am a mechanic" Using the factory shop manual it's not difficult to rebuild a C4 even in your own garage. Just pay attention to the clutch clearances & gear train tolerances. Try to get everything at the bottom end of the specs. The rest is just wrenching. Ford calls for a number of special tools to be used, but the only one I had to fabricate was a clutch piston spring compressor for the reverse/high clutch. Other than a good set of snap-ring pliers, it's just basic hand tools. Oh!, and a small shop compressor is very useful. Have a clean & well lit working area & a full beer cooler in the garage & you're well set up!! There are also tons of useful videos on YT & a plethora of information here in VMF. I say go for it! And dont forget, once the transmission is back in the car & WORKING!! Nobody can take that experience away from you.

·
Registered
350 Posts
If you're going to do a straight rebuild, I highly recommend buying the Bad Shoe Production DVD on rebuilding a C4. I rebuilt mine using this DVD, and it was not difficult. I'm no mechanical genius and I had no problems at all. In fact, it was fun! Good luck!

·
Registered
236 Posts
I recommend the Bad Shoe Production DVD too. Worth the money for sure! Ken is nice and will answer questions if you ask. I recommend just watching even if anyone plans on having someone else rebuild it for you so that you understand what's going on with a rebuild better.

·
Registered
795 Posts
there are some pretty good lists by others here who have did the manual swap. I was looking into it too but spend too much into my 4r swap to give up on it. So unless your really patient and one of those guys who always gets lucky finding good deals on stuff, its not a cheap swap if you go all in. But if you do go with the swap, do everyone else the huge favor of documenting everything in the process with costs and photos of everything involved.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In my opinion you answered your own question by stating "I am a mechanic"
Doesn't mean I know everything haha. Also I put "time permitting" because as some mechanics know, if its not making you money, you might not have time for it. I also was just wanting to know what it cost some people to do the swap. Thanks for the info though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts