Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Depends on who's doing the rebuilding. I doubt you can do a 5 speed conversion for the price of a C4 rebuild, unless you find a really expensive place to rebuild the C4 ;)

You should be able to have a shop rebuild your C4 for around $400. You can do it yourself for around $150.

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
You can rebuild the c-4 for $150 or less. It is not that hard to do if you just a little handy. A shift kit and extra clutches could be added for another $75 or so but if you do not plan on swapping out the I6 it would not make much since. You may have some trouble with the removal of the reverse drum, but that is about it. Once you "crack" the case you will find the auto transmission mystery is not that big of a deal. The C-4 was our first auto tranny rebuild. We contacted a local tranny shop and made arrangements to be able to deliver our C-4 in pieces if we got stuck. We never had to use that insurance plan.

Five speed swap will certainly cost you more than the C-4 redo and not sure the performance delta would be noticed with the I6.

Best of luck,

Pat

·
Registered
366 Posts
The last time I paid someone to overhaul my C4 (advertised price of $375 in the paper) he wound up adding a bunch of parts that I didnt want or need and tried to stiff me with the bill. After some calls to the BBB he eventually backed off and we settled for around $450. However that was over 10 years ago.
Just last year I had a C4 completely overhauled for $1200 at one of your nationaly recognized places. And no it wasn't the first one that you come to in the phone book:)

Just FYI.
Dcubedus

·
Registered
742 Posts
I spent $350 on mine last year at a local mustang shop (They send them out to be rebuilt) plus another $75 for a new torque converter.

·
Registered
37 Posts
For what its worth, about a year ago I purchased a rebuilt C4 from auto zone for right about $400. Its a special order item, but it took less than a week to arrive. 12 month, 12k mile warranty (or something like that). The only quirk was having to swap in my linkage before installation. I've had the car on the road for 6 months and so far, the unit is working fine.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
i live in the bay area. i ended up paying about 1100 for my C4 rebuild. but, it was pretty shot, it needed everything replaced. all the bands and clutches were toasted, my front pump was toasted. you name it, i broke it lol.

this price also included the fact that i didnt pull the tranny and drop it off, i didnt have time bc of work. i just dropped the hobbled car off and said you do it this time.

about two yrs later its still doing great , and it chirps second gear once in a while too, without a shift kit. im thinking about going back and having a trans stage 2 put in it for kicks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts