Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week there was a post about the cost of a C4 rebuild - somebody suggested doing it yourself - is there a kit - and does anybody know where to buy one?Thanks,Lee

·
Registered
522 Posts
When I did mine, I was able to get all the parts I needed from a local transmission warehouse. I would start there if there is one in your area. You can get performance kits out of places like JEG's and Summit, but if you are just rebuilding without intention of having a high performance machine, then it may not be worth the money. If there is no transmission place in your area, then sites like the one previously posted are a good alternative, only problem being if you forget something or determine you need something else it is not readily available. As I posted before, I got about everything I needed for mine for about $85 minus a new torque converter, and I replaced everything in the tranny. While you are at it, put a shift kit in there, you won't be disappointed, and it will be money well spent.

Dave

·
Registered
260 Posts
I work at a Ford Dealership, and the parts guy told me that $100 for a rebuild kit

·
Registered
522 Posts
I got all new gaskets, seals, bands, frictions, steels, thrust washers, springs/rollers for the sprag clutch, sealing rings, lock washers for the servos, and anything else I have forgotten that would have had a chance of being worn out. I believe I may have even gotten the shift kit in there, since the first one I did was the little baby stage I kit, but I can't remember for sure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts