Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I had my c4 rebuilt with a shift kit, servo, planetary gears, 71 front end pump and spline, kevlar bands etc etc. and a reverse manual valve body installed.

My question is do I have the linkage installed correctly? It is pointing upwards but the hurst installation instructions show the c4 linkage to be pointing down.

Did the guy rebuilding the trans install it incorrectly?

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
and with the shift (when in seat facing front of car) it goes 3-2-1-N-R-P?

So 3rd is all the way forward, park is all the way to the rear and you are pushing the shifter away from neutral to go up a gear?

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the reason im saying this is because i dont think the quarter stick is design to go 1-2-3-N-R-P because of the design, its too easy to over push the shifter from 1-3 because it has a 'cliff' right after full forward position and you would have to carefully change it to second

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Greetings,

Does your Hurst shifter utilize a cable and replacement trans lever? Snap us some pictures so we can eyball this with you.

Don

I'm pulling for ya, we're all in this together.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes sir utilizes both.

ill take some pictures now, I just got done cleaning the trans down.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
as you can see from the hurst instructions it shows the bracket facing downwards and it needs to be cut, then the bracket from the 3rd picture needs to be bolted on.

in the picture of the trans, the bracket pushed all the way forward is a drive gear (not sure if its 1 2 or 3) and all the way back is park (shaft locks and cant be turned)

is this correct for a 'reverse' body?

i dont have my original shifter around to see which way is right.

pulling out my hair

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
The shift lever on your trans now is for a factory floor shifter. The Hurst instructions show a shift lever for a factory column shifter. I would recommend you procure a column shifter lever and modify it as shown in the instructions, and preserve the factory floor shift lever. Your factory neutral safety switch will also have to be removed, as the slots in the shift lever for operating the switch are what the Hurst lever will use to drive the shift lever shaft. I presume provision is made for a neutral safety switch in Hurst shifter itself.

Don

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
A reverse shift valve body only changes the forward gears. Park and reverse are in the normal location.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
appreciate the info guys its clear as mud now. next round of beer is on me!

is it possible to just flip the selector lever on the transmission around so its pointing downwards?

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
appreciate the info guys its clear as mud now. next round of beer is on me!

is it possible to just flip the selector lever on the transmission around so its pointing downwards?
Yes, that should solve your problem. The way you have it will mess up the shift pattern. (Park position) With it down lever forward all the way is Park. As said, the valve body will only effect the 1-2-3 position.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
whats weird is that the shifter cable goes in from the front of the shifter so if I route it through the front of the shifter (through the floor pan) when I put it into Park it will push the cable forward which will then push the trans selector towards the rear which will be Park.

So the way it is all setup right now is capable of working but making the installation 'work' is another thing.

Will have to wait to find out

Appreciate everyones advice y'all have been great!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts