Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to install an original type shift rod between the shifter and the C4 in my 70. I lack the appropriate grommet that goes between the shift rod and the lever on the side of the tranny.

My 70 shop manuals illustrate that the original rod had a groove and the original bushing locates off of that.

My problem is, the shift rod I have doesnt have the groove; it uses a cotter pin and there isnt a lot of distance between the shoulder on the rod and the hole for the cotter pin. All the bushings Ive seen are the same and are too long to accomodate the cotter pin AND a washer, which would probably be necessary to prevent the cotter from slowly being ground away.

Has anyone seen a C4 shift rod that uses a cotter key and what kind of bushing did it fit with? My local tranny shop doesnt have any C4 grommets.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
The cotter pin goes into the shift lever side. The "notched" end goes into the shifter end. There's no "groove" on the shift lever side. Every C4 linkage I've ever seen (including the 4 I have at my house) is round on the shift lever side. It then just slides through the round hole in the manual shift arm, gets a little washer thing on the back side and the cotter pin.

I think you're mixing up the 2 ends. I'll try to get a pic of the linkage tonight for you. IIRC, I have a complete shift linkage sitting in my spare parts bin, on the off chance I ever want to go back to a C4 in my '66 (currently it has an AOD).

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks....I look forward to the pics.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts