Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the proces of swapping a c4 from a 66 fairlane into my 67 vert that had a 3 speed. I got a shifter linkage from NPD that goes from the shifter to the shift lever on the side of the tranny, but it is about two inches too short. I compared it to a used one that a friend has and they are the same. Is it possible that the tranny from the fairlane which had a column shift, would have a different shift arm on it than a c4 from a floor shifted car? I can't find any other listed, but in looking at diagrams it looks like a mustang c4 may have a shift arm that attaches on the tops side of the neutral safety switch where on my c4 it attaches below the neutral safety switch. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
310 Posts
the arms on the trannys are different for column chift vs. floor shift.. Floor shift the arms point up, column they point down..You need to replace the arms/shafts with those from a floor shift car or make/find adaptors to point the correct direction..

AJ

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I was afraid that was going to be the answer. I think I will try to fabricate something because I think I would have to drop the tranny to get enough clearance to pull the shift arm out of the side, and I really don't want to go there. I have been struggling over the last month to find the time to get it swapped

1 - 3 of 3 Posts