Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just finished swapping a c4 from my 66 fairlane into my 67 mustang. The fairlane was a column shift, so I swapped the shift lever out for one from a 1979 c4 in order to hook up properly to a floor shifter. For some odd reason my reverse quit working all of a sudden, and the tranny will not shift from 2nd to 3rd. I am looking into the reverse problem, but after reading through some old posts I think the 2nd into 3rd may be my ignorance more than a mechanical problem. The old posts refer to a green dot shifter, and I am wondering if by using a floor shifter and bezel for a 67 where the drive immediately past nuetral was what I assumed to be the 2nd into 3rd shift, is actually the manual 2nd gear position on my 66 C4? Also, if it is just a matter of having my shift patterns mixed up, would swapping a valve body from a 67 or later C4 fix the matter? I have a valve body from a 79 C4 that I could swap in if this is the case. Thanks in advance for any input.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Has the transmission ever worked correctly since you replaced the manual shift arm? If not, my first guess is that you don't have the manual shift arm oriented correctly in the ident of the manual shift valve. Does it go into park ok?

The "green dot" refers to the '65/'66 C4's. The shift patter was as follows:
P - Park
R - Reverse
N - Neutral
White Dot - starts in 2nd, automatically shifts to 3rd
Green Dot - 1,2,3 automatic shifts (Normal driving position)
L - 1st or 2nd gear depending on RPM's, will not shift automatically out of whichever gear it's in.

I'm not really following your forward gear problem, but maybe this shift pattern will help you determine if you have a forward gear problem as well. If you can't get the car into either Reverse or 1st gear but all other gears and park work ok, you probably have a broken low/reverse band, or a bad low/reverse servo. (hope for the servo).

If you are having just all kinds of wacko problems, check your vacuum line. A C4 with no vacuum is one bizarre acting thing *LOL*.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Johnpro,

I thought you couldn't swap a later valve body into 65-66 greendot trans. If that is possible I will be one happy camper as I want the 67 on possibility of manual shifts!

PLEASE confirm!

Frank

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
I've never heard that before. Basically the only difference that I'm aware of between a '65-'66 and the '67-'69 is the valve body. Starting in '70 a lot of the internals changed but I still don't see why you couldn't put a green dot valve body into a '70/later (not that anyone would).

I have never done this swap, however (the '67/later valve body into a '66 C4), so maybe we should put a vote to the masses. ;)

·
Registered
6,008 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You may recall me JP as the one with all of the wiring problems that you helped me with. So I have jsut this last weekend been able to actually do some shake down drives, which is when I came across these issues. The tranny worked just fine in my fairlane last fall, and I had just had it rebuilt at a good shop about 5oo miles before I drove it last. When my mustang threw a rod in May, I figured I would just swap out the motor and tranny from my fairlane so I could enjoy the convertible through the summer and work on the motor in between. HAH!! IF I am lucky, I will get everything straightened out in time to put it away for the winter. I think though, that you may be on to something with the vacuum. I have not checked that. I just hooked it up to the back of my manifold and for all I know it could be sucking air big time. I don't know about the valve body, but the one I have at least looks identical to my 66 valve body, which is about as technical as I am capable of being with a tranny :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts