Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I did a search for c4 transmission kits and did not find much. Are the shift kits good for the transmission? I have heard that the kits can lead to additional wear on the transmission. Which brand of kits are best, most reliable? Should the trans be checked out by a repair shop before installation? I have a stock 65 289 4bbl and c4 and it is an occasional driver.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Phil

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
The shift kits improve both performance and durability of the transmission. They actually provide less wear and tear on the transmission than if it wasn't installed.

I don't think there have been any reports of certain kits being better than others. Just stick with the name brand ones (TCI, trans-go, B&M)

Its always a good idea to have the transmission checked out before installation (if youre having a shop install the kit). But if you're having no problems with the tranny now, you should be alright

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
I've used the Transgo on both C-6 and C-4 trannys. They are very easy to install and the directions included with the kits are easy to follow. The difference in performance is significant. I'm sure you will be pleased with the results.

I haven't used any others so don't know about them.

Have fun and good luck!

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
I have no problems currently so I will install myself

Recommend a service manual with C4 info so you can do maintenance and inspection whille the valve body is out. Also, you'll need a clean work space and a method of cleaning the valve body while working on it.

Likely the best performance investment you'll ever make in an auto trans combo, dollar for dollar...

Have fun!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts