Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody I hope all is well. I just want your guys opinions. I'm running a C4 in my 65 mustang and I want to swap to a 5 speed but it's going to cost 5k+ for the swap. (5 spd kit- $3k, Labor-$1k, JBA headers to fit 5 spd-$1k) Would it be worth it too spend that much money on just a swap? Everybody I see on here talks about how much fun it is shifting gears and the C4 just gets boring too me. Let me know what you think. Thanks.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
$5,000 to put a 5spd in your car?! That sounds outrageous. I have seen many complete parts lists for around $1,000-$1500 including the transmission. A 5 spd is worth it to many people, but not for $5,000.

In today's market, for $5,000, you could probably find a decent V8 coupe with a 5spd conversion.

·
Registered
757 Posts
1k for headers? my headers were $180ish i think maybe less.

im sure thats a pretty beefed up transmission for a 3k kit...

·
Registered
430 Posts
5k is WAY high. I think I was around 1k for everything. Of course I didn't go out and buy a new t5. It isn't that tough of a job to do yourself.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. The kit is on modern driveline. It's the world class t5.. Where else could I find a complete kit? The headers are the ceramic jba headers. What other headers will work with a t5?

·
Registered
444 Posts
With that kit, you shouldn't have to pay someone $1000 to install it.

You are paying for the convenience of buying everything from the same place. If you shop around you could save a lot of money. I know it's not for everybody, I'm just cheap. I bought from MU, Ebay, Summit, Corral.net, fordmuscle.com and saved a ton of money.

One thing I didn't see on the MD site was the option for an aftermarket shifter like a TriAx or Pro5.0. It'll tighten up the sloppy stock shifter. You'll also need lower rear end gears to take advantage of the OD, you'll also have more fun.

If you go with the hydraulic clutch, any header will work. The difference between the cable kit and hydraulic kit is $200. If you can get a quality header for $200 less then you can use that money to go hydraulic.

·
Registered
7,109 Posts
Thanks for the replies. The kit is on modern driveline. It's the world class t5.. Where else could I find a complete kit? The headers are the ceramic jba headers. What other headers will work with a t5?
Hi,

It just so happens I made this conversion in the spring of '09, purchasing 98% of my parts from Modern. I think my total was about $3.6K. I am running TRY-Ys with this install and using the HD rollerized "Z" bar kit. I looked at Keisler Engineering, as well.
Many folks choose to search for piece parts, wherever, and unless you know specifically what works with what, you could wind up buying mis-matched parts. Not to the mention, the actual waiting and searching part.
I felt, purchasing new parts from one source with a proven history of having quality product guaranteed a measure of relief in the whole process.
Is it worth it? The short answer for me is a resounding yes, as I am running a 3.55, perhaps a lower rear in the future. I enjoy the 1900-2000K cruising RPMs, which previously, were 3000 @ 70 mph.
You pays your money, you makes your choice!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know theirs cheaper way by going and searching for each individual piece but I'm not for sure what too look for.. and it would be faster just buying a complete kit. I just bought a 3rd member with 3.55 gears so I'm sure it would work better with a 5 speed. Would it cost around the same to swap to a 4 speed?

·
Registered
7,109 Posts
I know theirs cheaper way by going and searching for each individual piece but I'm not for sure what too look for.. and it would be faster just buying a complete kit. I just bought a 3rd member with 3.55 gears so I'm sure it would work better with a 5 speed. Would it cost around the same to swap to a 4 speed?
Hi,
It would be cheaper, typically, to go the 4 speed route, buy why? The labor and all of the conversion parts are the same except for the actually tranny. The only reason to go the 4 SPD route would be to maintain the look of originality.
If you PM me with your email, I'll send you a list and a "How to", as I experienced.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
85-93 T5 are the same correct? Just built different for hp/tq rating? I've thought about buying a used T5 and having a local transmission guy rebuild it.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
85-93 T5 are the same correct? Just built different for hp/tq rating? I've thought about buying a used T5 and having a local transmission guy rebuild it.
I believe that's correct...
Here's the quick version. If the car is originally an auto trans car you need to add the clutch pedal and it's associated mechanisms (springs, etc. .. Not a huge job)
Then...
T5 trans (I found a rebuilt for $600 with the bellhousing)
Flywheel and clutch assembly (local parts store for under $300) oem is more than adequate unless your high on HP
Conversion crossmember (about $140)
Misc items for z-bar linkage (all new I think is in the $250 range, used parts are sometimes better, look around)
New interior components (shifter, knob, boot, etc with original look : somewhere around $200 )
Possibly a new speedo gear for your 3.55's, add 3qts ATF, minutia etc...

Cost is under $1500, and the job was done with a buddy (no lift) in about 7hrs (pizza included) I sold my C4 in 2 days and recouped some $.

Read every thread on this topic using the search function. I've owned my 65 since 1986. It is a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT CAR with the T5. If you have NO SKILLS as a mechanic that's fine, it's not a prerequisite. $5k is steep. Assuming all new parts with an oem clutch (not kevlar or anything unnecessary) plus a pro install...you should be close to $4k.

If you're keeping the car and want to enjoy it, it's a good investment. Be a smart consumer... ;)

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I believe that's correct...
Here's the quick version. If the car is originally an auto trans car you need to add the clutch pedal and it's associated mechanisms (springs, etc. .. Not a huge job)
Then...
T5 trans (I found a rebuilt for $600 with the bellhousing)
Flywheel and clutch assembly (local parts store for under $300) oem is more than adequate unless your high on HP
Conversion crossmember (about $140)
Misc items for z-bar linkage (all new I think is in the $250 range, used parts are sometimes better, look around)
New interior components (shifter, knob, boot, etc with original look : somewhere around $200 )
Possibly a new speedo gear for your 3.55's, add 3qts ATF, minutia etc...

Cost is under $1500, and the job was done with a buddy (no lift) in about 7hrs (pizza included) I sold my C4 in 2 days and recouped some $.

Read every thread on this topic using the search function. I've owned my 65 since 1986. It is a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT CAR with the T5. If you have NO SKILLS as a mechanic that's fine, it's not a prerequisite. $5k is steep. Assuming all new parts with an oem clutch (not kevlar or anything unnecessary) plus a pro install...you should be close to $4k.

If you're keeping the car and want to enjoy it, it's a good investment. Be a smart consumer... ;)
Thank you for the response.:thumbsup:

The car is originally an automatic. I don't plan on selling the car bc I really love it. I've found a crossmember on ebay for 85 bucks or best offer.. the guy doesnt have 100% feedback though. Thanks again.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'm doing this myself right now, I have been reading up on what parts to get and it didn't take long before I knew what to get. According to my spreadsheet I'll end up just over $1700, but that's including shipping to Norway and the transmission was rebuilt. 90-93 are the best t5's if you end up buying a used one rated at 300ft/tq, and the '93 Cobra rated at 310ft/tq. Try searching through some fox forums, there are many lying around.

Some threads I found useful:
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/mod-custom-forum/619002-t5-swap-heres-my-list-total-parts-w-cost.html
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/557900-t5-swap-madness-my-experience-pics.html

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Rookie question, What would work off an 89' 5.0 for the conversion? Thanks.
I used the bell housing, clutch and flywheel from a fox, it only cost me $75 to have that 50 ounce made into a 28 ounce, the clutch was a low milage unit that seems to be fine.

I reused my driveshaft and had it shortened for $35, i did not even balance it. I will be getting it balanced this winter, it gets some vibes at 75.

I got a cross member on ebay, it fit like crap but i made it work.

I went big money on the hydraulic clutch, its kinda nice.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A guy says he'll sell me everything I need for the conversion off his 89' mustang. I don't think I'm going get the 89 t5. I probably just buy that brand new. Thanks:thumbsup:

Theirs so much stuff out there just wanted too make sure first.

I used the clutch and flywheel from a fox, it only cost me $75 to have that 50 ounce made into a 28 ounce, the clutch was a low milage unit that seems to be fine.

I reused my driveshaft and had it shortened for $35, i did not even balance it. I will be getting it balanced this winter, it gets some vibes at 75.

I got a cross member on ebay, it fit like crap but i made it work.

I went big money on the hydraulic clutch, its kinda nice.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
A guy says he'll sell me everything I need for the conversion off his 89' mustang. I don't think I'm going get the 89 t5. I probably just buy that brand new. Thanks:thumbsup:

Theirs so much stuff out there just wanted too make sure first.
Bosshoss, what are you going to use? Flywheel and Bell?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bosshoss, what are you going to use? Flywheel and Bell?
He said he'd sell everything including the 89 t5 too me for $750. I ask him "what all does that consists of?" his response, "Everything but petals" I'm wanting too switch over too a 5 speed but 3-4k is too much. I'm just trying too save wherever I can. I know I need the 90-93 model t5 bc of torque rating is 300 on those I believe. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
He said he'd sell everything including the 89 t5 too me for $750. I ask him "what all does that consists of?" his response, "Everything but petals" I'm wanting too switch over too a 5 speed but 3-4k is too much. I'm just trying too save wherever I can. I know I need the 90-93 model t5 bc of torque rating is 300 on those I believe. :thumbsup:
All you can use from this guy is the Bell, Trans, blocking plate, and probably the flywheel. It would be foolish to use the clutch and nothing else will swap over. Unless you actually have more than 300ft/lbs and plan on racing (slicks) then I wouldn't worry too much.

You will still need:
Trans mount
clutch (disc and plate)
Pilot bearing
Throw out bearing
Pedal setup
Linkage of some sort (mech, cable, hydraulic)
Misc depending on linkage you choose (pivot, brackets...it depends)
Shifter handle (interior stuff, boot, etc)

Most swaps don't require the driveshaft to be shortened. The C4 yoke works fine. Speedo cable works as well (maybe a new gear)

$750 is an ok deal if it doesn't need a rebuild (chances are it does)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts