Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of swapping out my C4 in my '66 coupe for a five speed. Can anyone tell me what would be a good trans for this and how difficult it might be? I'm not running any hugh ponies (pun defenitely intended) so it doesn't have to be bullet-proof.

By the way, I did a search and I must me doing something wrong because I'm sure this subject has come up before.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Check out www.geocities.com/2bav8/t5data.html to see the data on various T-5 Transmissions. If you have stock (2.80) rear end gears, the units with 3.35 first gear will give you some good off the line accelleration. If you have the $, getting a new T-5z transmission (2.95 first gear) will be stronger and save you some headaches from dealing with a used unit.

The cost for this conversion will likely be between $1,000 and $2,500 depending on what you get used and what you can fabricate yourself.

This is a great conversion. I saw my gas mpg go from 13 to 19 on the highway.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Another VMFer, Shaun, and I just did a similar swap on his 66 earlier this year. I went to a T5 in my car and he got my Toploader. Switching from a C4 to a stick was much easier than I thought, but we had many of the parts we needed from my car (he did have to get pedals and a few odds and ends).

We did the swap in two weekends, but could have completed it in a single weekend if we had really pushed it.

If you do go with the T5, I have a couple of suggestions. First, go with a cable clutch - they are a vast improvement over the Z-bar setup. Secondly, go with some higher gears (I have the 2.79 gears in mine now and it is ridiculous - I'm putting in 3.55s). At 2000 rpm, my speed is 82mph!! With the lower gears, I will have much better acceleration, but I should still get pretty good mileage.

You could check out www.moderndriveline.com to see what you parts you'll need. I got everything from Bruce and, while I probably spent a few dollars more on some items, he was a big help when I had questions.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
I'm looking at doing the same type of swap down the road. Check out darkhorseperformance.com . They offer a few different swap kits (Some higher end and more comprehensive than others). If you have the $$ do as LanceMach suggests and change to 3:55 Rear gears. You'll be glad you did
Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts