Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2002 T5 with its bell housing to swap in place of a C4. Is there a change needed in the drive shaft length from center of eye to center of eye from the original 65 drive shaft?

·
Dimples
5,133 Posts
For most, yes. I had to shorten mine 1 inch.

Some report that they didn’t have to, so your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I ran the stock C4 drive shaft when I swapped to a T5 without modification in my 67, it was a perfect fit. I used the yoke from the C4 as well. That 2002 T5 might have slightly different dimensions than the earlier ones, so that could change things for your particular case.

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
How are you going to run a speedo?

·
Registered
171 Posts
When I did my T-5 swap I sold my driveshaft & C4 on craigslist. Think I got like $120 for the driveshaft by itself. I bought a Street or Track custom length Aluminum driveshaft instead (was $299 at the time). Would have cost me close to the same (along with alot of hassle) to get my stock one shortened. IMO well worth the upgrade. Here is a link if you are interested. Looks like they have gone up by $50 (Custom length aluminum driveshaft).

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a major truck repair shop not too far from me that shortened and balanced my stock drive shaft on my AOD conversion on my 64.5 vert. Cost me about $125.00. They do good work. The reason for shortening was the 9" that replaced the 8". I don't know if the AOD by itself would have required the modification.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
I shortened mine a 1/2" when I did the T5z swap. After doing some reading I feel I might have not accounted for the compression on the rubber that hangs past the rear seal on the tail shaft. Probably didn't need to shorten mine.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
We swapped a T5 (World Class, from 89 5.0 Mustang) into a 65 Fastback. It is a 289 C4 car, stock 8 inch rear with mid eye leafs and we only had to cut 1" from the slip yoke. Otherwise stock driveshaft worked without any other modifications or issues.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We swapped a T5 (World Class, from 89 5.0 Mustang) into a 65 Fastback. It is a 289 C4 car, stock 8 inch rear with mid eye leafs and we only had to cut 1" from the slip yoke. Otherwise stock driveshaft worked without any other modifications or issues.
I have two or three extra slip yokes of different lengths I can try. That's a lot cheaper than getting the drive shaft length changed. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
For most, yes. I had to shorten mine 1 inch.

Some report that they didn’t have to, so your mileage may vary.
Yeah, I’m one of those that didn’t have to shorten. Not that it makes a difference, mine is 331 C4 to T 5z with an eight inch rear. I used “Danny”s Driveshaft”,tech on checking and measuring.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, I’m one of those that didn’t have to shorten. Not that it makes a difference, mine is 331 C4 to T 5z with an eight inch rear. I used “Danny”s Driveshaft”,tech on checking and measuring.
DennyDriveshaft.com has a great chart with instructions as to how to measure exactly what is needed. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Premium Member
12,345 Posts
I have two or three extra slip yokes of different lengths I can try. That's a lot cheaper than getting the drive shaft length changed. Thanks for the info.
The slip yoke length is not the problem unless it's so long that it's bottoming out on something inside the transmission. Normally the output shaft of the transmission bottoms out in the closed end of the slip yoke.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts