Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the beginning I wanted a 5 speed, and then decided i didn't want to mod the car that much, and a T10 would be more original to the overall feel and style of the car. Although, overdrive would be really sweet.

http://spokane.craigslist.org/pts/573304314.html

And then I came across that, and I'm really tempted to lunge for it. What are your thoughts? About how much money would it cost me to get everything else I need to do the conversion, using a Z-bar and adapter plate?

Thanks. I'd also like your opinions on which clutch to go with, if I go for this conversion.

-Matt

·
Registered
10,526 Posts
My car started out with a T10 and 11 years ago I put in a Toploader.

2 years ago I put in a T5.

You need the bellhousing adaptor if you use a late model bellhousing or you need the transmission spacer, tranny cross member, shifter. I would guess the cost is about $400.

·
Premium Member
19,235 Posts
T-10's aren't all that durable, and parts are somewhat hard to obtain. The good news is that T-10's are affordable: $100-$150. If you are going to a 4-speed, non-OD tranny, spring for the toploader, the finest, most durable 4-speed tranny ever produced. You can still find them for ~$700. The cost differential between that and a T-10 becomes small when the T-10 needs to be overhauled.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I would go for the T5 myself. It is awesome. Before you jump the gun on this tranny you are looking at make sure of what it is out of. T5's weren't put in just Ford Mustangs. Finding all of the components is quite simple with ebay at your finger tips.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That T5 is out of a 4-cylinder 92 mustang.

That won't work, will it...

-Matt

·
Registered
244 Posts
I can be made to fit with an adaptor for the input shaft I think. Problem is, its weaker than a 5.0 T5 and has a really low first gear, something like a 3.97 first gear. This would be unusable with anything steeper than a 3.00 gear in the rear axle.

·
Registered
102 Posts
mavken said:
Problem is, its weaker than a 5.0 T5 and has a really low first gear, something like a 3.97 first gear. This would be unusable with anything steeper than a 3.00 gear in the rear axle.
It should be a 3.35 first which isn't a bad gear. My BMW M Roadster has a 4.29 first with a 3.23 rear and it is not an unusable gear.

·
Registered
244 Posts
The 5.0 T5's had a 3.35 first gear, the 2.3 T5's had a 3.97 (looked it up to confirm this). Maybe unusuable is the wrong word, I do think that you would have to shift out of first pretty quick if you had low rear gearing. If you have a fairly mild engine, it may do. If you plan on making some torque or doing any speed competition, I would pass. Just one man's opinion.

·
Registered
443 Posts
i think the 3.97 was a SVO 2.3L turbo only 1st gear (maybe worng) either way V8 t-5s are cheap enough...definately go with the 5 speed..we have converted over 50 ealry cars to them and each time the owner says its like a totally different car...just a whole new driving feel ..gauranteed to be some of the best money spent on your mustang..

·
Registered
325 Posts
I vote for a T-5. I have a T-10 in my are now that is fun, but it really sucks with out over drive on the freeway. I will be selling a t10 with bell housing, pedal assembly, z bar and a part I had to buy so I could use it on my 302. It is a bracket that goes between the car and the motor that the zbar rests on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts