Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 68 mustang coupe with a 289 and a c4. I want to get better gas mileage when im on the freeway as well as getting a manual transmission, so i was wondering what is involved in this swap? what parts are needed and how much it will cost me? another option i heard of was to use a four-speed and change out the fourth gear to get better freeway mileage. is this possible? and if so how much would that cost?

Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's a website that tells you what is required if you use the stock Mustang clutch linkage. You can also go with a cable clutch setup, which is much easier to install. If you can find a parts donor car, the stock linkage is probably cheaper. Also do a search on this forum on "T-5". The subject has been discussed many times.

Gene Zierdt
'65 Conv.
302/roller cam/valves/ported
T-5 w/3.55
negative roll, progressive front, 4 1/2 rear springs
Front & rear anti-sway bars

4,092 Posts
I figure I spent about $1500 to convert from a C-4 to a T-5.

Since going to a Tremec with all the bells and whisles, around $2500 (VERY nice setup).

My web page has my parts used for the swap.

[color:red]1966</font color=red> [color:blue]V8</font color=blue> [color:red]Coupe</font color=red>
5 speed, 4.11s, 10.13 in the quarter mile.
Oh wait, that was a Sammy Haggar song...
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.