Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
It depends on a number of factors... how much are you paying for the parts? Full labor rate?

Worst case scenario.... $2500-3000.

Best case scenario could easily cut that number in half.

Dave

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Dang I sold a complete conversion set on ebay for $1000 a year or two ago (and the tranny was rebuilt too). Guy must have got a real deal I guess. Funny I offered it up here first and got no takers...

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Put em back on..I'd be interested.

Just going to shops and asking for a estimate for the job. Guess I'll get as many as I can and get an average.

AVERAGE REBUILT TOPLOADER PRICE??? anybody...

·
Registered
818 Posts
I purchased a nice small block Top Loader with a like-new Hurst shifter from a fellow Forum member that had converted to a T5 for $750. The pedals from EBay for about $75. The flywheel for about $50. The bellhousing, Z-bar and linkage for about $150. I think you can still do this swap for less than $1,200 plus the cost of a new clutch set if you look hard enough. Lots of guys are going to a T5, so Top Loaders are not that hard to find. Just make sure you buy the trans from a working car and from someone you know or trust.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
If it were me I would put in a T5. Sending a toploader out for rebuilding from one of the reputable shops (David Kee, Dan Williams) is going to cost you $600-900 if it has any internal problems at all.

Buy a brand new T5 for $1250 and you have the OD which really frees up your choice of rear gear ratios.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts