Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in a momentary lapse of brain power, I filled my C4 and converter with Mercon ATF. Its got 4 quarts total of the nine? needed, including filling the converter with about a quart. Was this bad? should I drain it out and put in something else? Can I mix old school ATF with this stuff? Ya, im an I-D-10-T

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Unless the transmission has a modern rebuild with valve body work you should really use Type F for the transmission to shift correctly. I probably wouldnt worry about getting the fluid out of the converter but I would drop the pan and get the rest of it out.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,657 Posts
If the transmission has ever been rebuilt by someone other than Ford in it's life, then it will be quite happy with Dexron/Mercon. The aftermarket never reproduced the particular clutches for C4's that Ford originally used. Some people like to use a quart or two of type F and fill the rest of the way with Mercon to "make it shift a bit harder". GM guys figured out years ago to add a quart of type F to their Dexron transmissions to make them performance shift better and also make a transmission that was "slipping a little" last a bit longer.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its never been rebuilt, has a shift kit in it now and a 2200 stall converter. So you are saying that I can fill it up the rest of the way with regular old school ATF?

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,657 Posts
Never been rebuilt but has a shift kit and a high stall converter? Um, OK. That's a tough transmission. The last OEM V8 C4 came off the line 20 years ago. Generally speaking, Type F has a LOT of friction modifier in it. Thus a couple of quarts are pretty much enough to "treat" an otherwise healthy transmission full of Mercon. Yes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts