Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize in advance about the long post. I have a 1965 mustang with the 6 cylinder motor and C4 (early model) automatic transmission. I just rebuild the transmission with new gaskets, friction plates, bearings and TC. I put the Trans in the car and it drove and shifted fine, it did leak but not very much. I went on a trip for a week and when I came back there was a good 2 square feet of transmission fluid on the floor. When I looked at the ttransmission, it looked to me like it is leaking from between the transmission bel housing and transmission case. I am not sure why it is leaking from that spot. People say that it could be the pump gasket but for one, the transmission is leaking at a stand still and secondly I just put new gaskets in. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
807 Posts
two things, pull the dust cover to expose the converter, see if there's tranny fluid in the bottom of the bell housing. That would indicate a failed pump/converter seal. If there's no fluid, check the likely stuff, the vent tube at the rear of the tranny and the shifter shaft seal. If the fluid is coming from the vent tube, its because your converter is back flowing into the tranny whiles its sitting basically overfilling your tranny so the excess fluid comes out the vent tube. If its the shaft seal O ring, its a simple replacement. let us know what you find.

·
Registered
252 Posts
The first thing is to find out exactly where the leak is coming from. Clean everything up really well and then either spray leak detection powder or foot powder around the area you suspect to be leaking and watch it. The powder will help you pinpoint your leak. Transmission fluid is a very light oil, a teacup full on the ground will spread out and look like a gallon.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
two things, pull the dust cover to expose the converter, see if there's tranny fluid in the bottom of the bell housing. That would indicate a failed pump/converter seal. If there's no fluid, check the likely stuff, the vent tube at the rear of the tranny and the shifter shaft seal. If the fluid is coming from the vent tube, its because your converter is back flowing into the tranny whiles its sitting basically overfilling your tranny so the excess fluid comes out the vent tube. If its the shaft seal O ring, its a simple replacement. let us know what you find.
I pulled the cover and there is a thick black type of oily substance in the bel housing (I think from when it used to leak oil before I replaced seal) but there are no signs of transmission fluid. There is no fluid coming from the vent or shifter shaft but it is leaking from between the bel housing and the case of the transmission. Thank you for your input!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The first thing is to find out exactly where the leak is coming from. Clean everything up really well and then either spray leak detection powder or foot powder around the area you suspect to be leaking and watch it. The powder will help you pinpoint your leak. Transmission fluid is a very light oil, a teacup full on the ground will spread out and look like a gallon.
The leak is coming from between the bel housing and the case of the transmission (where the two pieces come together). I am pretty positive about that because I have cleaned it up and it still leaked from the same area. I have watched it drip from that area. Thanks for your input!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts